-
Junior Member
registered user
Remastered 3.6 iso is bigger (even I don't add nothing)
I successfully remastered a few version of KNOPPIX, but this version I cannot. My new iso is too big to write on CD, I try to copy source KNOPPIX dir and make iso and the size id bigger too. Is there any problem with this version of KNOPPIX ?
-
If I recompress an untouched V3.6 I get a larger iso that won't fit on a CD also. Since I am removing almost everything, I didn't worry about it. There is an option to the compresser to try to get the most compression but instead of taking 35 minutes when not using the option it took about 14 hours and it only saved a couple percent of space. It was not worth it for my configuration since I am compressing about 300 megs down to a 124 meg iso and can easily fit on a mini CD. All my remasters boot and run from my test partition including recompressing the whole distribution. If your remaster won't run maybe there is something you need to change to your scripts when remastering V3.6
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yes, I know I can remove some unwanted things, but in this version of KNOPPIX must be an error, because all of earlier version works fine after remastering (I mean without need to removing) . I don't undestand.
From version 3.4 there is one bug with Czech support in KDE, in knoppix-autoconfig.sh , so I need only to make change in this file and remaster, but without success .... DAMN
-
I don't think there's an error. It's just that this latest version of Knoppix pushes the size limit more than the other versions you tried to remaster. Therefore, unless you take care to get maximum compression, the iso won't fit.
You may find the easiest things to delete are some of the language files for KDE. They are big, plentiful and mostly not needed for anything specific enough to require remastering. Deleting one or two you won't be using should do the trick.
-
Junior Member
registered user
How is possible original iso have good sized iso, and I don"t make any change and my remastered is is larger ? Is there any unknown solution to make remastered iso with correct size and with all features in original ?
Which method of remastering used an author of original ISO ?
-
Here are the sizes I get for V3.6:
The download iso 733,499,392
The burned CD 733,499,392
The KNOPPIX file on CD 725,253,780
Recompressed with -b option 733,916,879
Recompressed with out -b 754,579,405
The -b option takes a lot longer to run than without and I would only use it if I had to get that little bit extra in order to fit.
There is a remaster script around here that includes reordering the files that are compressed to speed up the booting process. It may be that compression percent is sensistive to where the different files are in relation to each other during the compression stage.
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK, I can try -b option,
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By snarkbait in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-05-2005, 04:00 AM
-
By Chromatic Distortion in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-30-2005, 02:05 AM
-
By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
-
By onzey in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-23-2003, 11:51 PM
-
By DavidTempler in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00