Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Promise SATA-Raid with NTFS partitions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    Promise SATA-Raid with NTFS partitions

    Hey all,

    I've had no luck mounting my SATA-raid 1+0 NTFS drives in Knoppix (or a number of other livecds for that matter). Always get the following error message:

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/*, or too many mounted file systems

    where * is the partition name (sda1 etc).

    The (4) partitions are recognised as NTFS in fdisk -l and the above is mount /dev/* /mnt/test -t ntfs -r

    One problem appears to be that two different partitions are detected for each real partition, sda1 and sdc1 etc. I suspect this has to do with the 1 (mirror) component of the RAID. If I'm not mistaken you need a patched kernel for proper mirror support. To be honest, I don't care since I only want to read the partitions and in read only mode.

    (Other livecds e.g. Gentoo have similar altho they may have different names for the devices e.g. Gentoo has a long scsi name)

    As said I have a Promise SATA raid card. Best as I can make out, the 2.6 kernel in Knoppix is supposed to support this and I've tried both.

    I've come across http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~hol...aid_howto.html and http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/

    The first one seems to be mainly about getting raid working to allow you to install Knoppix on a RAID drive which is not what I want and is also for the 2.4 kernel which I believe doesn't support the Promise RAID by default. The second one I've tried without luck.

    Anyone hints?

    P.S. Unrelated but haven't tried FreeBSD or NetBSD yet. My FreeBSD liveCD (from freebsie) doesn't work, just resets on startup, NetBSD had other probs

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

Similar Threads

  1. PROMISE RAID drive is not detected
    By mbl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
  2. ASUS K8V SE Deluxe (promise Fast Track 378 RAID 0)
    By newellrp1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 11:54 PM
  3. boot knoppix 3.3 on system with promise fasttrak 100tx2 raid
    By hitcher in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 08:29 AM
  4. The use of (promise) raid...
    By academic in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 09:31 PM
  5. Promise FastTrak 100 Raid
    By elbe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5

LOT OF 5 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD TLC DRAM 95% or Better

$250.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00