Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Yet another XP recovery

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12

    Yet another XP recovery

    Howdy All,

    my Tablet XP got somehow corrupted, and the laptop won't boot, not even in safe mode (it re-boots by itself every time). So, I thought of trying to access my HD with Knoppix. I hope I can find some help here, I'm not exactly tech-savvy. Here's my question(s):

    1) Is it possible to make a bootable USB memory card (256MB) with the credit-card CD distribution of Knoppix? HOW?

    2) If that's possible, and I manage to see the HD fron Knoppix, will I be able to burn a CD on my USB CD-RW?

    TIA!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12
    whoops, my apologies. Just realized that my laptop just won't boot from a memory stick. Let me reformulate my questions then:

    1) Assuming that I can get to boot from a Knoppix LiveCD, how do I save the data I want? Could I save them on the USB memory stick?

    (I have a second laptop, but it runs 98, so I guess I cannot link the two computers together, can I?)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by giacomix
    Assuming that I can get to boot from a Knoppix LiveCD, how do I save the data I want? Could I save them on the USB memory stick?

    (I have a second laptop, but it runs 98, so I guess I cannot link the two computers together, can I?)
    If you have a network (or a cross-over ethernet cable) you could plug your tablet (running from the Knoppix CD) into the network and transfer the files to a 'shared folder' on your Win98 machine. Wireless networking will probably not work. Pen input won't work either, as since the wacom driver is not included on the Knoppix CD.

    Just a little walktrough:
    Klick on the house icon at the bottom to start Konqueror in filemanager mode. Klick on the red flag in the sidebar on the left. Now klick on Devices, and then on the correct harddisk partition (probably hda1). A thingy will popup shortly telling that it's "mounting" the partition. When it disappears you will see the files on your Windows drive inside the filemanager.

    Open another Konqueror window. Type smb:/ in the address bar to see all the network shares that are found. If it doesn't seem to work, be shure the network card actually works, try accessing google or something.

    Copy files as usual (like under Microsoft Windows).

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    If you have a network (or a cross-over ethernet cable) you could plug your tablet (running from the Knoppix CD) into the network and transfer the files to a 'shared folder' on your Win98 machine.
    Sounds good... thanks! I have a router that I use for wireless networking, but I see it can be used as a normal router as well. Never set up a network tho, hope it won't be a problem. Maybe it'll be easier with a cross-over ethernet cable?

    Anyways, all I need now is to get my Knoppix bootable CD in the mail, then I'll most probably be back bothering you guys again

    Thx!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by giacomix
    Sounds good... thanks! I have a router that I use for wireless networking, but I see it can be used as a normal router as well. Never set up a network tho, hope it won't be a problem. Maybe it'll be easier with a cross-over ethernet cable?

    Anyways, all I need now is to get my Knoppix bootable CD in the mail, then I'll most probably be back bothering you guys again

    Thx!
    Most of the time Tablet PCs use Broadcom chipsets (mine does..), which are unsupported under Linux. Broadcom doesn't release the specs for all it's chips. But you could try asking someone else. I don't know anything about wireless config under Linux/KDE.

    btw, I just started Knoppix (3.7) and the 'red flag' I spoke of is not there (only some dummy icon), the tab is is named Services though, it's the bottom most tab.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12

    Recovery successful

    Wonderful... Knoppix worked just smoothly.

    Now I have a further question: after I saved all my sensitive data on a different computer, I would now like to try and repair the faulty XP disc.

    Any suggestions on what programs should I run from Knoppix (or dowload?)

    THANKS!

Similar Threads

  1. partition recovery
    By nimsey in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 02:12 AM
  2. Windows Recovery
    By Aldago in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:14 PM
  3. Recovery CD help
    By McMahon in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 11:43 AM
  4. Disaster Recovery - HELP!!
    By el_supremo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:28 AM
  5. Partition recovery
    By Sam in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00