Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix vs Debian

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix vs Debian

    I've done a HDD installation of Knoppix for a few days already, and apart from a few minor issues (lock screen doesn't ask for password, occasional system pauses for a few seconds), it has been working great. A big THANKS.

    I plan to use this installation as my primary OS. However, going thru the forum, some suggested that Knoppix was not really designed for HDD installation, and there are issues related to HDD install such as hard-coded home directory for new user creation, etc.

    I think there must be people using HDD installed Knoppix as their primary OS for some time. Can someone share their experience on this? I tried Debian R2.2 some time ago and the installation process was daunting. Knoppix has been a lot more pleasing.

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Knoppix 3.1 is my primary OS. I agree - installing Debian is a pain in the !@#. I really don't know if there are any major differences except for one which can be fixed. It is that you cannot partition and install (from the knoppix cd) to seperate partitions as would be most desireable in that it is this multiple partition scheme that makes Linux much less susceptible to viruses. That is to say it is preferrable to make seperate partitions for /var, /home, /tmp etc. I plan on doing this but I haven't yet. I've got everything working flawlessly and don't want to screw up anything. It shouldn't be too hard, make the partitions, format them then copy the directories over, make sure that everything is pointed to where it needs to go and THEN delete the original directories. Of course I have a backup of my entire install ready to go. Maybe somebody else would know what differences there are. Perhaps a Debian purist would say that Knoppix is 'less' Debian but for me it doesn't matter. Knoppix rocks!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Damon,

    If you want a debian OS designed for hd install you might want to look into Libranet, I ran libranet 1.9 for about a year and then went to 2.0 in the last year. I've upgraded my Libranet 2.0 (woody) to kde3.1.1, X-4.2.1, mozilla 1.2.1 etc. some stuff is not as current as 03-23 knoppix but still pretty current and very stable.

    Libranet has an easy, very good text based install, with good hardware detection and very good system configuration. I have one system that has a knoppix hd install, but the knoppix install is my 2nd of three OS's on that computer, I'll probably reinstall over it tomorrow with the new 3.2-3-23 release as the two alternate distro's are just for playing/testing purposes on that box.

    rock

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Knoppix vs Debian

    Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    I've done a HDD installation of Knoppix for a few days already, and apart from a few minor issues (lock screen doesn't ask for password, occasional system pauses for a few seconds), it has been working great. A big THANKS.

    I plan to use this installation as my primary OS. However, going thru the forum, some suggested that Knoppix was not really designed for HDD installation, and there are issues related to HDD install such as hard-coded home directory for new user creation, etc.

    I think there must be people using HDD installed Knoppix as their primary OS for some time. Can someone share their experience on this? I tried Debian R2.2 some time ago and the installation process was daunting. Knoppix has been a lot more pleasing.

    Cheers!
    We use Knoppix as debian system in school, I use it at home, some friends of mine use it ...

    No one ever had problems (except with wrong kde-sources, but there is kde to blame and that could have ben happend with real debian too)

    Oh, the bug with the lock should be fixed ...

    At least it was on our installation of the january release (2003-01-23 I believe)

    I had this idea in the first place, but it is only useful in cd-rom mode, because there user knoppix has no password ...

    cu

    Fabian

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix -> debian-like -> debian
    By macherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. from knoppix to debian.
    By grupsapa in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:19 PM
  4. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
  5. knoppix and debian on DVD
    By towy71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$34.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$59.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00