-
Senior Member
registered user
How do I install a skin to kde
kde_xp_full-0.9.tar.gz is what I downloaded and it is in my home directory and I need to know how to unpack and install. I need to know how to do that for anything that I've downloaded and trying to install.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I downloaded the kde_xp_full-0.9.tar.gz which I found through kde-look.org. I suggest you do the following.
Code:
cd $HOME
mkdir newtheme
mv kde_xp_full-0.9.tar.gz newtheme
tar zxvf kde_xp_full-0.9.tar.gz
It will extract ou the entire tar-gzip archive.
The listing is:
My computer/
My network/
README.ITA
accesso.jpg
bar.png
gen_rpm.Suse.sh*
gen_rpm.sh*
icons/
install.txt
kde_xp.kth
kde_xpStyle/
kde_xpTheme/
kde_xp_full-0.9.tar.gz*
kdemoreartwork-winxp.Suse.spec
kdemoreartwork-winxp.spec
kstyle/
winbar/
Read the install.txt.
OR
IN KDE use Konqueror & you could right-click the .tar.gz file and extract to a new folder. Then open up the install.txt in Konq or Kate.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Senior Member
registered user
When I extracted it to newtheme there is nothing in the install.txt file. I open with kwrite and kate and nothing to read.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I just performed the following steps.
$ cat install.txt
- Installation instructions -
Run the scripts :
icons-install-kde.sh
style-install.sh
theme-install-kde.sh
un Control Center and select Look'n'Feel.
Select Theme Manager and then kde_xp in the theme list. Click on Apply.
Select Window Decoration and then IceWM in the list.
Select the Configure tab and then kde_xp in the list. Click on Apply.
Select Style and then kde_xp in the theme list. Click on Apply.
This is the most I can do. I hope this helps.
James
-
Senior Member
registered user
Does this line matter? ./kdemoreartwork-winxp.Suse.spec
Just wondering if this is just for Suse? I am running Kanotix.
This is what I get to and can't do any more.
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ cat install.txt
- Installation instructions -
Run the scripts :
icons-install-kde.sh
style-install.sh
theme-install-kde.sh
un Control Center and select Look'n'Feel.
Select Theme Manager and then kde_xp in the theme list. Click on Apply.
Select Window Decoration and then IceWM in the list.
Select the Configure tab and then kde_xp in the list. Click on Apply.
Select Style and then kde_xp in the theme list. Click on Apply.
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ icons-install-kde.sh
bash: icons-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ style-install.sh
bash: style-install.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ theme-install-kde.sh
bash: theme-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ icons-install-kde.sh
bash: icons-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ style-install.sh
bash: style-install.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ theme-install-kde.sh
bash: theme-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ sudo icons-install-kde.sh
sudo: icons-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ style-install.sh
bash: style-install.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ theme install-kde.sh
bash: theme: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$
-
Senior Member
registered user
The spec file is a way that RPM based distros like Fedora/Mandrake/Suse can create a rpm file. Since you are running Kanotix, a derivattive of knoppix/debian, you can safely ignore that .spec file.
Code:
find ./ -name '*.sh'
That should show you where the scripts are. I know for a fact that at least 1 script is in the icons folder. If the scripts are not executable, then
Code:
chmod u+x scriptname.sh
will set the execute permissions flag on the script.
-
Senior Member
registered user
So this is what I get:
rrfish72@rrfish72:~$ find ./ -name '*.sh'
./firefox/firefox/run-mozilla.sh
./newtheme/icons/icons-install-kde.sh
./newtheme/kde_xpTheme/theme-install-kde.sh
./newtheme/kde_xpStyle/style-install.sh
./newtheme/gen_rpm.sh
./newtheme/gen_rpm.Suse.sh
Now how do I install it after I found it?
-
Senior Member
registered user
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ icons-install-kde.sh
bash: icons-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ style-install.sh
bash: style-install.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ theme-install-kde.sh
bash: theme-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ icons-install-kde.sh
bash: icons-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ style-install.sh
bash: style-install.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ theme-install-kde.sh
bash: theme-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ sudo icons-install-kde.sh
sudo: icons-install-kde.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ style-install.sh
bash: style-install.sh: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$ theme install-kde.sh
bash: theme: command not found
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$
To run a script with sh extension you need to put sh command in front of the script, ex:
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme$sh icons-install-kde.sh
or ./icons-install-kde.sh
or sh ./icons-install-kde.sh
-
Senior Member
registered user
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme/icons$ sudo sh icons-install-kde.sh
kde_xp Theme for KDE installed. Did that for themes and
If it says that then why is it not in the theme manager or whatever holds the themes so I can change it?
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme/kde_xpStyle$ sudo sh style-install.sh
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Luna Style for KDE installed.
Does that mean it is there now? I'll check.. Yes it is there, but how do I get the taskbar to go along with the theme of XP?
Select Style and then kde_xp in the theme list. Click on Apply.
Is the last of the instructions and the kde_xp option is not there.
It should be according to:
rrfish72@rrfish72:~/newtheme/kde_xpTheme$ sudo sh theme-install-kde.sh
cp: cannot stat `wmp': No such file or directory
kde_xp Theme for KDE installed.
-
Senior Member
registered user
How do I get the kde_xp style to show up in the style tap in the control center? That must be what also changes the taskbar. Any ideas how to get the theme unpacked so I can change.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

NETGEAR GS108PP 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Unmanaged Switch with FlexPoE.
$89.95

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99