-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix 3.6 and WMP54G wifi by ndiswrapper
I try my WMP54G wifi in Knoppix,
I successfully loaded my inf file and modprobe ndiswrapper,
I can iwlist wlan0 scanning (I can see my provider)
I can iwconfig essid "my_favorit_essid" and I successfully
pump -i wlan0,
BUT I CANNOT ping, and do nothing with others.
In Ethereal I can sniff all packets from AP.
My provider does not use any encrypting.
In Windows all works fine,
Have somebody any idea ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix 3.6 and WMP54G wifi by ndiswrapper

Originally Posted by
tlamik
I can iwconfig essid "my_favorit_essid" and I successfully
Are you doing it right?:
Code:
# iwconfig wlan0 essid your_network_name
Then check by
that your essid name was really accepted. If it is not there, then do the same again.
If essid is OK then try
and choose dhcp. This should do it!
-tapsa-
-
Junior Member
registered user
Of course I did it right, I wrote I am able to sniff all traffic from that AP,
If I wrote it wrong I cannot be able to see any traffic from AP, isn't it ?!?
I guess I do it right, though I can successfully pump -i wlan0 ...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
tlamik
I guess I do it right, though I can successfully pump -i wlan0 ...
I don't have the same card, so this might be different with yours. I have Linksys WMP11 v. 2.7 card and this is what I get:
Code:
lo no wireless extensions.
wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"d11b"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462GHz Access Point: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-10 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0root@ttyp0[knoppix]# pump -i wlan0 --status
Device wlan0
IP: 10.100.109.157
Netmask: 255.255.240.0
Broadcast: 10.100.111.255
Network: 10.100.96.0
Boot server 10.100.111.254
Next server 10.100.111.254
Gateway: 10.100.111.254
Gateways: 10.100.111.254
Domain: suomicom.fi
Nameservers: 217.119.36.4 217.119.37.4 217.30.180.230
Renewal time: Fri Oct 8 16:26:46 2004
Expiration time: Fri Oct 8 19:26:46 2004
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:17 Missed beacon:0
sit0 no wireless extensions.
As you see, I don't get essid at all, so I must type it by hand:
Code:
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# iwconfig wlan0 essid TeraeNet
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"TeraeNet"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412GHz Access Point: 00:40:05:26:FE:4D
Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-62 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:22 Missed beacon:0
sit0 no wireless extensions.
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
Now after this I try that pump:
Code:
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# pump -i wlan0 --status
Operation failed.
I don't get status and my net is not active. But if I type netcardconfig:
Code:
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# netcardconfig
Sending DHCP broadcast from device wlan0 OK.
auto lo wlan0
... I get pump right:
Code:
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# pump -i wlan0 --status
Device wlan0
IP: 10.100.109.157
Netmask: 255.255.240.0
Broadcast: 10.100.111.255
Network: 10.100.96.0
Boot server 10.100.111.254
Next server 10.100.111.254
Gateway: 10.100.111.254
Gateways: 10.100.111.254
Domain: suomicom.fi
Nameservers: 217.119.36.4 217.119.37.4 217.30.180.230
Renewal time: Fri Oct 8 16:26:46 2004
Expiration time: Fri Oct 8 19:26:46 2004
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
I remember that I had same kind of mysterious looking problems when putting IP by hand. The reason for troubles was wrong Broadcast. My last number was 1 but is should be 255. I could ping but not do anything else in the net. After changing Broadcast right everything worked. But pump is used with DHCP, so this is not your problem as far I see. I can't help, sorry 
-tapsa-
Similar Threads
-
By blahzik in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-24-2005, 07:19 AM
-
By ikarus in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-22-2005, 11:50 AM
-
By mlidman in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:37 AM
-
By catcissplptp in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-07-2005, 12:45 PM
-
By ys0304 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01