Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: gnome with cd run?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6

    gnome with cd run?

    Can gnome be invoked from a CD boot?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    If I understand you correctly then you are looking for a cheat code like this:

    knoppix desktop=gnome

    Of course you will need to add any additional cheat codes you need to get your cd to boot properly. You really should have a look around the site, all of that info is here already.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6

    gnome

    The cheat codes don't list gnome as an option. I did look around but the only info I found about gnome is either gnoppix or morphix, not knoppix.

    I've tried morphix but it's not nearly as sound "out of the box" as I've found knoppix to be.

    Knoppix is a great piece of work.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    So you didn't even try it?

    desktop=fluxbox|gnome|icewm|kde|larswm|twm|wmaker| xfce
    Use specified WM instead of KDE


    it's on this page:

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

    edit Oh yeah it's also on the CD - press F2.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6

    gnome

    Of course I tried it.

    "Desktop manager gnome is not supported.

    Boots a generic shell.

    This with 3.2.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by bopper
    Of course I tried it.

    "Desktop manager gnome is not supported.

    Boots a generic shell.

    This with 3.2.
    Knopper removed Gnome, don't ask me why.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Things were broken. I hope there is a fix soon because gnome meeting has been moved back to MUCH earlier version.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --He can leave it off, for my 2c. I actually prefer Gnome over KDE sometimes 'cuz it's faster, but realistically there's only so much room on a 700MB CDR. Taking gnome off prolly freed up a tonne of space.

    --It would prolly be a good idea to have a 2nd knoppix project that has Gnome and not KDE tho, with appropriate customizations. (I believe there is already a Knoppix Gnome project out there, but I don't think it's in english.)

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Things were broken. I hope there is a fix soon because gnome meeting has been moved back to MUCH earlier version.

Similar Threads

  1. gnome anyone?
    By nishtya in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 03:58 AM
  2. Gnome???
    By Da_Brain in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 06:23 AM
  3. Not Gnome, But Gnome Ready?
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
  4. Gnome or KDE ????
    By Adeel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 09:31 PM
  5. GNOME
    By papasi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 1200xl Original ROM And MMU set picture

Atari 1200xl Original ROM And MMU set

$20.00