This is more of a question of how to do than a solution, sorry.

I know there is probably a way to do this.

I have two laptops, IBM 600e and 600x. One has a working Win2000 system on it. With the programs that I need already installed and configured. But it has a burned out backlight. The 600x has no system right now. The 600e has a 6GB drive and the 600x has a 20GB drive.

I need to move the system over to the 600x laptop.

Using knoppix, how might best do this?

I'd prefer to "file-copy" the files over from one drive to the other over the network. Using tar or other archive process is ok.

Being that the drives are different sizes, dd doesn't seem a viable alternative.

I need to know how to set up the link between two knoppix cd booted machines to do this.

Thanks for your time.