Well... Thank you very much!![]()
Yes, Samba(at least 3.x) can be a NT/W2K style domain controller. Not AD. So no Windows machine is needed.Originally Posted by Nic MFP
However, if all you want is just centralized authentication for linux, it may be better to use LDAP or Kerberos(or both). Or use Samba with a LDAP backend as its user database. This way, you authenticate through samba security module which use LDAP for database management meaning you can replicate the same LDAP DB for high availability/performance.
Well... Thank you very much!![]()
why, thanks! But things have changedOriginally Posted by shah
Since I realized I would never be able to set up a network between Win98 and Knoppix, I burned a second Knoppix CD and started bot machines with Knoppix.
So now I only (!) have to set up a network between two machinces running Knoppix. And, guess what?? I fail at that as well!!
Here's what I do and what happens:
- I do netcardconfig manually on both computers, because DHCP doesn't work.
- So I assign 192.168.0.10 and .11 to the brokenXP and to the 98 machine respectively.
- I start Knoppix terminal server on both machines just OKing every entry (and giving the right client range)
- I start samba on both machines giving a password and OKing the following propmt.
- I start linneighborhhod on both machines and make a query for the respective IP addresses.
- Both queries invariably fail. However,
- the IP address of the other machine appear in linneighborhood nonetheless and
- occasionally such IP addresses can be scanned and I can see the other computer. If I try to mount the other computer hard drive,
- it will, invariably, say access error.
Please, tell me that I'm missing something EXTREMELY easy and that next time I'll transfer my files to the working machine...
Samba wasn't meant for linux to linux networking, eventhough it is possible.
You can setup win98 to use samba server. The problem with win98 is it wont allow you yo send unencrypted password (plain) which is needed by samba.Since I realized I would never be able to set up a network between Win98 and Knoppix, I burned a second Knoppix CD and started bot machines with Knoppix.
You need to edit registry of win98 so it can send plain password. Follow this instruction:
1) Go to Start--->run--->type regedit <enter>
2) in registry editor, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\VNETSETUP
3)Add the DWORD value to the Registry entry EnablePlainTextPassword (reg Dword) 1
4) reboot
Don't forget to set shared on folder you want to share on win98 pc so that you can mount that shared point.
![]()
![]()
For linux->linux connection try 'fish'. It's ridiculously easy.
1) From the Knoppix->services menu, start SSH server
2) Set a root password with 'sudo passwd' on the other machine
2) type 'fish://[email protected].<IP address of the other machine>' in Konqueror address bar.
You should be asked for the password & then connected.
It worked!!Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
Thanks a BUNCH to everyone!

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99