Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: crossover network

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic MFP
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    yes. install samba and its associated pam modules. Then you can use the NT/W2K for authentication. Technically speaking, you are telling each workstation that instead of using the /etc/passwd for authentication, use the samba module which would query the NT domain controller(or may be AD too in 3.x).
    Thank you! But can a Linux machine be something similar to the domain controller of Windows? That is, can I get the job done WITHOUT a windows machine (not necessarily to authenticate Windows workstations, linux ones are enough).

    P. S. I see only now that there is a "Networking" section...
    Yes, Samba(at least 3.x) can be a NT/W2K style domain controller. Not AD. So no Windows machine is needed.

    However, if all you want is just centralized authentication for linux, it may be better to use LDAP or Kerberos(or both). Or use Samba with a LDAP backend as its user database. This way, you authenticate through samba security module which use LDAP for database management meaning you can replicate the same LDAP DB for high availability/performance.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Torino, Italy
    Posts
    19
    Well... Thank you very much!

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    giacomix
    ifconfig eth0
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:90:642:95:89
    inet addr:68.42.13.49 Bcast:68.42.13.127 Mask:255.255.255.128
    inet6 addr: fe80::290:64ff:fed2:9589/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:25473 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:12136 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:10221785 (9.7 MiB) TX bytes:1555680 (1.4 MiB)
    Your networkcard looks okay to me but, before using samba you need to set ip address on both pc. Else it won't work. One thing to remember samba won't work well with XPHome.You need to edit your registry.
    http://www.ccs.uky.edu/docs/samba.htm
    http://www.samba.netfirms.com/sambconf.htm
    http://static.kdenews.org/content/si...rier/20030610/
    why, thanks! But things have changed

    Since I realized I would never be able to set up a network between Win98 and Knoppix, I burned a second Knoppix CD and started bot machines with Knoppix.

    So now I only (!) have to set up a network between two machinces running Knoppix. And, guess what?? I fail at that as well!!

    Here's what I do and what happens:

    - I do netcardconfig manually on both computers, because DHCP doesn't work.
    - So I assign 192.168.0.10 and .11 to the brokenXP and to the 98 machine respectively.
    - I start Knoppix terminal server on both machines just OKing every entry (and giving the right client range)
    - I start samba on both machines giving a password and OKing the following propmt.
    - I start linneighborhhod on both machines and make a query for the respective IP addresses.

    - Both queries invariably fail. However,
    - the IP address of the other machine appear in linneighborhood nonetheless and
    - occasionally such IP addresses can be scanned and I can see the other computer. If I try to mount the other computer hard drive,
    - it will, invariably, say access error.

    Please, tell me that I'm missing something EXTREMELY easy and that next time I'll transfer my files to the working machine...

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Samba wasn't meant for linux to linux networking, eventhough it is possible.
    Since I realized I would never be able to set up a network between Win98 and Knoppix, I burned a second Knoppix CD and started bot machines with Knoppix.
    You can setup win98 to use samba server. The problem with win98 is it wont allow you yo send unencrypted password (plain) which is needed by samba.
    You need to edit registry of win98 so it can send plain password. Follow this instruction:
    1) Go to Start--->run--->type regedit <enter>
    2) in registry editor, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\VNETSETUP
    3)Add the DWORD value to the Registry entry EnablePlainTextPassword (reg Dword) 1
    4) reboot

    Don't forget to set shared on folder you want to share on win98 pc so that you can mount that shared point.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    For linux->linux connection try 'fish'. It's ridiculously easy.
    1) From the Knoppix->services menu, start SSH server
    2) Set a root password with 'sudo passwd' on the other machine
    2) type 'fish://[email protected].<IP address of the other machine>' in Konqueror address bar.
    You should be asked for the password & then connected.

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    For linux->linux connection try 'fish'. It's ridiculously easy.
    1) From the Knoppix->services menu, start SSH server
    2) Set a root password with 'sudo passwd' on the other machine
    2) type 'fish://[email protected].<IP address of the other machine>' in Konqueror address bar.
    You should be asked for the password & then connected.
    It worked!!

    Thanks a BUNCH to everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Crossover office gives no sound
    By lotech in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
  2. configuring a crossover connection
    By wannessmet in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 06:52 PM
  3. Setting up a small network w/internet&crossover
    By wannessmet in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
  4. crossover network
    By giacomix in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 02:51 PM
  5. Installing crossover plugin.
    By Numpty in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Open Box Apple OEM 30W USB-C Power Adapter MW2G3AM/A - A2164 picture

Open Box Apple OEM 30W USB-C Power Adapter MW2G3AM/A - A2164

$15.99



NEW Original OEM 60W Charger for 2012 2013 2014 2015 APPLE 13

NEW Original OEM 60W Charger for 2012 2013 2014 2015 APPLE 13" MacBook Pro A1435

$25.95



Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro picture

Lot of 10 Genuine OEM Apple 87W USB-C Power Adapter A1719 for Macbook Pro

$179.99



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$17.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D picture

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D

$339.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05