Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I have a sad life...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382

    I have a sad life...

    I just built my first .deb package from a non-debian source. It was a simple little package...just a plugin for the xfce4 panel. But, I'm very excited...unhealthily so in fact, I'd say. It was really easy too...you should try it the next time you have some *simple* program that you can't find a deb or rpm for.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I'll bite. How did you did it?

    TIA,
    AJG

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, I'll bite. How did you dod it?

    TIA,
    AJG
    checkinstall can make deb packages from source code.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    firebyrd10,

    checkinstall will fail on more complicated compiles

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I used the tools in the debmake and devscripts packages. You should look at the doc for debmake. It tells you how to do it better than I could. The only weirdness I encountered was that I had to create the DEBIAN directory myself and copy everything from /debian over to /DEBIAN, because for some reason deb-make created /debian but then when everything is built /DEBIAN is what is looked for. And do make sure to try something simple if you try it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    anything you want to share with us?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    anything you want to share with us?
    Nothing to share really. I'm still figuring it out myself. It's easy for simple things, but even slightly involved packages are a pain. I now realize that there are supposed to be both /debian and /DEBIAN directories. Just make sure you follow the right order, and if things get messed up it's best to get a fresh source and start over. And if there's a deb or rpm available use them.

Similar Threads

  1. Half Life 2...
    By chris-harry in forum Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 11:01 AM
  2. Life CD
    By pierre in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  3. Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Sticks
    By Bothersome in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 02:20 AM
  4. Knoppix saved my life
    By knoppix_lover in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. Half Life On Knoppix
    By mharazin78 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$305.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00