Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Connecting to the internet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Connecting to the internet

    If I want to connect to the internet do i have to know my access numbers because i use AOL on windows and i want to get on the net on knoppix ?? any help or information please....

  2. #2

    AOL

    Unfortunately AOL uses a special type of dial-up connection. I don't think any existing program in Linux will connect to AOL Internet Service.

    The other problem will be with your dial-up modem. Most modems in windows are winmodems... meaning the computer does most of the work for the modem. Winmodems.... being for Windows computers are not well supported in Linux... and thus not well supported in Knoppix.

    I've got a Knoppix Remaster I call WebOS that supports Lucent and Smartlink Winmodems. There's a good chance that you may have one of these two types.

    You can see the details at www.getnetez.com

    Send me an email to [email protected] with your shipping address and I'll send you a free copy of WebOS if you want. You'll need to get a different Internet Service Provider, I think, but otherwise it will probably work for you.

    Regards,
    G

  3. #3

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18
    I have similar problem. I bought netgearRP614v2 router and I connect to AOL broadband on one of my windows XP using the router. I try to connect my another linux pc to the router to share the internet connection.

    But the manual clearly says I need AOL software to connect from any PC on the router and AOL is available only on Windows.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18
    What are the alternatives do I have for the above situation?
    Any comments are welcome
    Thanks in advance

Similar Threads

  1. Connecting to the internet
    By Bluebones in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 02:45 AM
  2. Need help connecting to the internet
    By plasmakills in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 04:56 AM
  3. Connecting to the Internet
    By HornyToad in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
  4. allow connecting the internet
    By P.Enguin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 06:31 PM
  5. Connecting to the internet
    By Realyze in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box picture

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box

$299.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor picture

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$399.00



Lot of 21 Intel Core i7 8thGen CPU Processors picture

Lot of 21 Intel Core i7 8thGen CPU Processors

$1599.99



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$365.00