-
Connecting to the internet
If I want to connect to the internet do i have to know my access numbers because i use AOL on windows and i want to get on the net on knoppix ?? any help or information please....
-
AOL
Unfortunately AOL uses a special type of dial-up connection. I don't think any existing program in Linux will connect to AOL Internet Service.
The other problem will be with your dial-up modem. Most modems in windows are winmodems... meaning the computer does most of the work for the modem. Winmodems.... being for Windows computers are not well supported in Linux... and thus not well supported in Knoppix.
I've got a Knoppix Remaster I call WebOS that supports Lucent and Smartlink Winmodems. There's a good chance that you may have one of these two types.
You can see the details at www.getnetez.com
Send me an email to [email protected] with your shipping address and I'll send you a free copy of WebOS if you want. You'll need to get a different Internet Service Provider, I think, but otherwise it will probably work for you.
Regards,
G
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
COol
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have similar problem. I bought netgearRP614v2 router and I connect to AOL broadband on one of my windows XP using the router. I try to connect my another linux pc to the router to share the internet connection.
But the manual clearly says I need AOL software to connect from any PC on the router and AOL is available only on Windows.
-
Junior Member
registered user
What are the alternatives do I have for the above situation?
Any comments are welcome
Thanks in advance
Similar Threads
-
By Bluebones in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-21-2005, 02:45 AM
-
By plasmakills in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-01-2005, 04:56 AM
-
By HornyToad in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
-
By P.Enguin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 06:31 PM
-
By Realyze in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM
$286.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Samsung M393A2K43DB3 16GB (1x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz M393A2K43DB3
$89.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM
$649.99

VisionTek 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop RAM 260-Pin DDR4-3200
$240.00

HP Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 RAM 3733MHz HP37D4U1S8ME-16XR
$79.99

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB
$149.99