Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Copy of Knoppix from inside Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    22

    Copy of Knoppix from inside Knoppix

    Hello,

    I have read suggestions of making multiple copies from an ISO file, or, if one has the CD and not the file, of installing Knoppix on the HD (compressed) and running it from there.

    I have a CD-ROM and a CD-RW drive. I don't want to change my partitions - actually I want, but imagine the case I had a crash, or a small hard disk. Is there a way to make a backup copy of the CD?

    On the fly copy works, but I assume it isn't a good idea to try to make an exact copy by reading from the device while Knoppix is running from the same device. Am I right?

    But the files on the CD are still readable as files - or would this also confuse some programs or cause some overhead that will lock the system? Maybe it is possible to "construct" the CD on the fly? (I don't really know if this is possible.)

    Another idea was to take or to make a minimal distribution (but which can read and write CD-R) that runs from the memory, but it would be nice if it all this could de made using only Knoppix.

    It is just an idea. Maybe it isn't very important - for the moment, if my CD gets scratched, the simplest thing for me is to ask a friend or to buy a new one.

    Bye,
    Gencho

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Now this is for Kanotix but Knoppix *should* be similar. I have no idea about the Knoppix kernel.

    Just loop mount the cdrom
    Code:
    mount -o loop /dev/cdrom /cdrom
    cd /cdrom
    Copy the compressed image to hdd:
    Code:
    cp -R /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/hda7
    Copy the /boot directory to hdd:
    Code:
    cp-R /boot
    Add an entry to your boot loader to point to the image:
    Code:
    title Kanotix BH09
    kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=791 n                           
    omce alsa xmodule=fbdev home=/dev/hda7 myconf=/dev/hda7 hdb=scsi
    initrd (hd0,6)/boot/miniroot.gz
    You can even save your persistent home to the same partition (despite what others may tell you )

    You can also run the installer when booted to the compressed KNOPPIX image from hdd. It's very fast. When you want to upgrade simply replace the KNOPPIX file. No change to your boot loader is required.

    It is also possible to mount the knoppix.blah.iso. There is a howto for that somewhere.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You could always try to use k3b and do an on the fly reading of the knoppix disk.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    You could always try to use k3b and do an on the fly reading of the knoppix disk.
    I have tried something similar (with cdrdao, I believe) and this time it worked, thanks. But I am almost sure that trying to copy the Knoppix cd confused the computer once when I tried this in a previous Knoppix version, so I thought that maybe Knoppix needs the CD itself so often that the hardware or the software can't handle simultaneous intensive reading. Obviously that "theory" was wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. How do i tohd/bootfrom on a NTFS when inside Knoppix?
    By knoppene in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 08:13 AM
  2. VMWare Inside KNOPPIX
    By p2o5 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 05:20 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 02:57 PM
  4. Get VMware to run *inside* Knoppix?
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 06:05 PM
  5. Knoppix inside VMware as client
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.55



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99