Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Whay are they called Cheatcodes?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    29

    Whay are they called Cheatcodes?

    I understand there are a good number of 'cheatcodes' available for Knoppix which allows for a wide range of startup options.

    Why are they called cheatcodes? It's hardly 'cheating' is it? Quite the opposite it's quite OK and smart to customize the way an OS starts itself upon boot.

    Just wondering.

    JP

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Whay are they called Cheatcodes?

    Quote Originally Posted by JPWhite
    Why are they called cheatcodes? It's hardly 'cheating' is it? Quite the opposite it's quite OK and smart to customize the way an OS starts itself upon boot.
    Well .. basicly only the language setting isn't a cheating 'cheatcode'. The rest sh/could be infered from the state of the hardware.

    So it is kind of cheating if you need to tell the hardware detection what it should see, heh?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    The kernel, the runlevel, whether to use acpi or apm, whether to enable scsi or not, pcmcia or not, using a graphic-resolution and which desktop, use some configuration saved to ... - that might all dependend on user-whishes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Good question, and, believe it or not, never gave it much thought, why? Just know it is, kind of thing...

    Here is, my attempt, of rational, on the subject...

    If you hard drive install Knoppix, the only way to get "boot" options added, or removed, at least with the LILO boot loader, is through the "append=" line. When you boot off the CD, that "append=" line is placed directly on the "boot:" prompt - thus, if you wanted to "test" if a configuration would work, for your hard drive install, you could boot the CD, and test your options out "before" you actually "commit" them to your real booted operating system, thus, you are cheating with the boot codes. Since, a good portion of these "boot codes" do not actually change the physical boot of the OS, I think they just used a more "generalized" term, cheat codes... And, with a lot of things in Linux, the term stuck, and has been carried down all this time, as "cheatcodes".

    I made the mistake of using the term "cheatcodes" when I was trying to get my ALSA working, or when I post a question in a "pure" Debian newsgroup - they completely "freaked", they couldnt fathom the thought of using "boot codes" to "tweak" either the boot, or the configuration of the operating system, and, from what I gather, Knoppix, and I would think, Kanotix, are about the only distro's to use this "term".

    This could be a further explaination of the term "cheatcodes", when you take ALSA for instance - in a "pure, true" Debian install, the way to get ALSA running is by compiling the source code of ALSA and its drivers into your kernel, then configuring it - whereas, in Knoppix, you can provide the alsa cheatcode on the boot: prompt, and get ALSA working without all that work. ( so, in the reasoning of ALSA, it is a "cheatcode" )

    All this is conjecture though, I really dont have a "real" answer, but, I can guess pretty good
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I've just thought it's to make the concept sound easier than kernel parameters as in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.7/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    This could be a further explaination of the term "cheatcodes", when you take ALSA for instance - in a "pure, true" Debian install, the way to get ALSA running is by compiling the source code of ALSA and its drivers into your kernel, then configuring it - whereas, in Knoppix, you can provide the alsa cheatcode on the boot: prompt, and get ALSA working without all that work. ( so, in the reasoning of ALSA, it is a "cheatcode" )

    All this is conjecture though, I really dont have a "real" answer, but, I can guess pretty good
    Ms. Cuddles
    Acually, in knoppix ALSA is already compiled into the kernel (acually I think its a module), But in a true Debain install you need to call up Alsa-config to set up it. The "Cheatcode" just calls up this command at boot (I doubt its the alsa-config command but it does the same thing).

    Also I agree with Markus. Knoppix is made a little simplier, and telling people to enter "kernel-parameters" would just scare them away. Cheatcodes sounds better. I think thats really the only reason.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Boot-options would be very clear, but not so interesting for the kids with gaming-experience.

    Boot-options would be more serious, and I would prefer it, but now it has made its way and it's too late to change, I guess.

Similar Threads

  1. Which Cheatcodes Were used ?
    By Maud_Dib in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 01:49 AM
  2. Bot up error msg called grubb
    By wahab101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 01:58 AM
  3. /etc/profile called twice when xterm icon clicked
    By pelican in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:23 PM
  5. is it called knoppix??
    By manjo in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 12:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$70.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card picture

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card

$26.21



NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance picture

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance

$29.99