I still do not understand why it doesn't work. I installed Debian with a older Knoppix-CD on my Laptop (near Windows) and it worked. My Laptop had only one harddisk, but it is still strange.
I suppose its entirely possible, though chances are it will work just fine.Originally Posted by Matschr
and like I said, you can always change it back.
I still do not understand why it doesn't work. I installed Debian with a older Knoppix-CD on my Laptop (near Windows) and it worked. My Laptop had only one harddisk, but it is still strange.
How i can change it back?
I know that you can fix it with a 98 boot disk, but that doesn't help you does it?Originally Posted by Matschr
(if it does. just type fdisk /mbr when at the floppy prompt)
But the easiest way would to back up the Mbr and then restore it if need.
(If you only need the mdr restored/backuped then only use the first 446 bytes instead of 512 bytes. The other bytes are partiton data)
To restore
Code:dd if=/mnt/floppy/mbr.img of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
Thanks for the info. But i trie it only if i have to do it. If i do it i am worried abaut my windows. So first i will download the real Debian images (not Knoppix) and trie if it works.
I installed the lilo in the mbr now and it works fine. Could i overwrite it also with a Win-XP-bootdisk if i uninstall my linux?
Yeah, just get into the WinXP recovery console and type in FIXMBR and it should work.Originally Posted by Matschr
It's what I did when I had to remove and older distro I no longer used.
There is a lilo option that will uninstall lilo from the install: lilo -u. A -U or -u option after lilo. One forces the uninstall, the other checks the date of the lilo against the date of the saved boot sector.
Then remove the partition using windows tools or a KNOPPIX CD

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00
RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99
Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99
Samsung Galaxy Tab S11 Ultra SM-X930 - 256GB, Wi-Fi, 14.6" - Gray /Open Box
$869.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77