-
New to linux need advice
Well I am very new to linux (Just got it running yesterday), I have two old machines I'm using as my linux learning boxes a decently equiped p200 and a Gateway p133. My 200mhz is running redhat now with no real problems it was a custom built system asus mb, 196mb ram, etc. So it has nice parts for it's era and everything seems to run fine on it. The Gateway was given to me by a friend that knew I tinkered on computers and it's a pain in the rear. I can't get redhat to run at all I can run the install program (wouldn't autorun from cd but I poked around and figured out I needed to and how to make a boot floppy) but when it gets ready to install it goes to a error screen. However Knoppix's runs on it fine I believe it has proprietary ram (has about 40mb's) so not sure if I can upgrade it, but with a swap file Knoppix's runs with the full gui. After reading the FAQ I'm thinking of installing Knoppix's to the Hard Drive however my question is will all the software remain compressed even after transfer to HD (I'm really sure it will) and I'll only benefit from the faster transfer rate of the data from the HD as compared to from the cd. Ideally I would like to find a version of linux with a gui that will run nicely on such a old underpowered system. I just downloaded Mandrake 9.0 i586 and might mess around with it some on the 200 machine but, I was abit confused as to what version to get to try and put on the 133 but atleast for now Knoppix's runs on it with no trouble.
Jwilds
Similar Threads
-
By blackfriarsboy in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-30-2005, 02:11 AM
-
By djh-world in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By hemps in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 06:10 AM
-
By DJs Red in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 07:01 PM
-
By VeeDubb in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 400800 PAL CPU6502C Sally PCB with PAL ANTIC GTIA G3D
$70.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75