-
"/dev/modem" link disappears at reboot of hdd inst
Hello everybody
A small recap of my predicament: I've got a HSF connexant modem on laptop where I've installed Knoppix 3.4.
I've succesfully installed Linuxant drivers (debian package) for the modem, the only problem is that at reboot the /dev/modem link disappears.
I was suggested to:
"The next time you reboot, it should suffice to only create the Ports
# mknod /dev/ttySHSF0
# ln -sf /dev/ttySHSF0 /dev/modem"
But this is a temporary solution, as the /dev/modem link disappears every time I boot....and I have to go through the procedure once again
At this point I guess the real problem is Knoppix and not the drivers...
Any suggestions on how to make the link persistent?
Regards
Artikid
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: "/dev/modem" link disappears at reboot of hdd

Originally Posted by
artikid
Hello everybody
A small recap of my predicament: I've got a HSF connexant modem on laptop where I've installed Knoppix 3.4.
I've succesfully installed Linuxant drivers (debian package) for the modem, the only problem is that at reboot the /dev/modem link disappears.
I was suggested to:
"The next time you reboot, it should suffice to only create the Ports
# mknod /dev/ttySHSF0
# ln -sf /dev/ttySHSF0 /dev/modem"
But this is a temporary solution, as the /dev/modem link disappears every time I boot....and I have to go through the procedure once again
At this point I guess the real problem is Knoppix and not the drivers...
Any suggestions on how to make the link persistent?
Regards
Artikid
Is only the link /dev/modem disappearing or is /dev/tty/SHSF0 being removed also?
/dev/modem is probably being removed by this section of the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script:
Code:
# Delete obsolete links and files before starting autoconfig
if ! checkbootparam "nohwsetup"; then
rm -f /dev/cdrom* /dev/cdwriter* /dev/mouse* /dev/modem* /dev/scanner* \
/etc/sysconfig/i18n /etc/sysconfig/keyboard /etc/sysconfig/knoppix \
2>/dev/null
fi
so the simplest solution would seem to be to edit the script to remove this deletion.
However, this MAY cause problems. I have done a similar 'fix' to prevent /dev/cdrom from being removed which seemed to work OK with 2.6 kernel but resulted in an additional /dev/cdrom being created each time the 2.4 kernel was run until I had about 10 of them.
I think what is needed is an additional startup script to run as the last boot script which checks for /dev/modem & creates one only if there is not one existing.
Also, /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig is only used for a knoppix or beginner style HD install, for a Debian install I'm not sure what the startup script is.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:07 AM
-
By wsg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 23
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:06 PM
-
By oman in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:28 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$49.99