Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: "/dev/modem" link disappears at reboot of hdd inst

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3

    "/dev/modem" link disappears at reboot of hdd inst

    Hello everybody
    A small recap of my predicament: I've got a HSF connexant modem on laptop where I've installed Knoppix 3.4.
    I've succesfully installed Linuxant drivers (debian package) for the modem, the only problem is that at reboot the /dev/modem link disappears.
    I was suggested to:
    "The next time you reboot, it should suffice to only create the Ports
    # mknod /dev/ttySHSF0
    # ln -sf /dev/ttySHSF0 /dev/modem"
    But this is a temporary solution, as the /dev/modem link disappears every time I boot....and I have to go through the procedure once again
    At this point I guess the real problem is Knoppix and not the drivers...
    Any suggestions on how to make the link persistent?
    Regards
    Artikid

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: "/dev/modem" link disappears at reboot of hdd

    Quote Originally Posted by artikid
    Hello everybody
    A small recap of my predicament: I've got a HSF connexant modem on laptop where I've installed Knoppix 3.4.
    I've succesfully installed Linuxant drivers (debian package) for the modem, the only problem is that at reboot the /dev/modem link disappears.
    I was suggested to:
    "The next time you reboot, it should suffice to only create the Ports
    # mknod /dev/ttySHSF0
    # ln -sf /dev/ttySHSF0 /dev/modem"
    But this is a temporary solution, as the /dev/modem link disappears every time I boot....and I have to go through the procedure once again
    At this point I guess the real problem is Knoppix and not the drivers...
    Any suggestions on how to make the link persistent?
    Regards
    Artikid
    Is only the link /dev/modem disappearing or is /dev/tty/SHSF0 being removed also?
    /dev/modem is probably being removed by this section of the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script:
    Code:
    # Delete obsolete links and files before starting autoconfig
    if ! checkbootparam "nohwsetup"; then
    rm -f /dev/cdrom* /dev/cdwriter* /dev/mouse* /dev/modem* /dev/scanner* \
          /etc/sysconfig/i18n /etc/sysconfig/keyboard /etc/sysconfig/knoppix \
          2>/dev/null
    fi
    so the simplest solution would seem to be to edit the script to remove this deletion.
    However, this MAY cause problems. I have done a similar 'fix' to prevent /dev/cdrom from being removed which seemed to work OK with 2.6 kernel but resulted in an additional /dev/cdrom being created each time the 2.4 kernel was run until I had about 10 of them.
    I think what is needed is an additional startup script to run as the last boot script which checks for /dev/modem & creates one only if there is not one existing.
    Also, /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig is only used for a knoppix or beginner style HD install, for a Debian install I'm not sure what the startup script is.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:07 AM
  2. "KPPP Cannot find modem /dev/modem"
    By wsg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:06 PM
  3. USR 56k PCI modem "busy"/"not found",rec
    By oman in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
  4. For the web forum : a "my threads" link
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:28 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00