Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

    I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
    1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
    2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
    3) linux swap
    4) trying to install knoppix

    Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

    I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

    Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
    1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
    2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
    3) linux swap
    4) trying to install knoppix

    Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

    I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

    Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?
    Knoppix should work fine on ANY partition. I have installed to hda5, 6,7 and 8. I suspect your installation is OK but it is your boot floppy which is not working correctly. Check with the docs above &/or search this forum to find out how to dual boot with XP.

Similar Threads

  1. Can I reinstall win98 without wiping out knoppix hdd?
    By turbine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. Can't get Knoppix to dual-boot with Win98
    By plzdontspamme in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
  3. Restoring win98 MBR with Knoppix CD
    By knophead in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
  5. bootloader question for win98, Mandrake and Knoppix
    By NewbieEd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested. picture

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.

$350.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



*NEW OLD STOCK* COMMODORE PET/CBM 8032 64K EXPANSION MEMORY BOARD PART# 8032099 picture

*NEW OLD STOCK* COMMODORE PET/CBM 8032 64K EXPANSION MEMORY BOARD PART# 8032099

$650.00



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals picture

Abacus Software Commodore 128 C-128 Book Lot 8 BASIC 7.0 CP/M CAD Manuals

$500.00



Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++ picture

Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++

$449.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



✅ Commodore C 128 D ⭐ Motherboard Assy 250477  ⭐ guter Zustand ⚡️ picture

✅ Commodore C 128 D ⭐ Motherboard Assy 250477 ⭐ guter Zustand ⚡️

$78.73