Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

    I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
    1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
    2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
    3) linux swap
    4) trying to install knoppix

    Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

    I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

    Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
    1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
    2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
    3) linux swap
    4) trying to install knoppix

    Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

    I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

    Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?
    Knoppix should work fine on ANY partition. I have installed to hda5, 6,7 and 8. I suspect your installation is OK but it is your boot floppy which is not working correctly. Check with the docs above &/or search this forum to find out how to dual boot with XP.

Similar Threads

  1. Can I reinstall win98 without wiping out knoppix hdd?
    By turbine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. Can't get Knoppix to dual-boot with Win98
    By plzdontspamme in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
  3. Restoring win98 MBR with Knoppix CD
    By knophead in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
  5. bootloader question for win98, Mandrake and Knoppix
    By NewbieEd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05



Lot of Apple OEM Accessories Keyboard iPod Network Display Power Adapters READ picture

Lot of Apple OEM Accessories Keyboard iPod Network Display Power Adapters READ

$149.00



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$18.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air picture

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air

$419.59



Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power picture

Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power

$109.99