-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

Originally Posted by
redss
I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
3) linux swap
4) trying to install knoppix
Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"
I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.
Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?
Knoppix should work fine on ANY partition. I have installed to hda5, 6,7 and 8. I suspect your installation is OK but it is your boot floppy which is not working correctly. Check with the docs above &/or search this forum to find out how to dual boot with XP.
Similar Threads
-
By turbine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM
-
By plzdontspamme in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By knophead in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM
-
By Calman in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
-
By NewbieEd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 Digitizer Battery Back Cover EB-BX306GBY
$150.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Dell Chromebook 11 3100 11.6'' I 4020 4GB 16GB VERY CLEAN RUNS WELL NON TOUCHSC
$27.00

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor
$41.00

Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron Used
$399.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00