Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

    I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
    1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
    2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
    3) linux swap
    4) trying to install knoppix

    Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

    I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

    Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
    1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
    2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
    3) linux swap
    4) trying to install knoppix

    Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

    I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

    Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?
    Knoppix should work fine on ANY partition. I have installed to hda5, 6,7 and 8. I suspect your installation is OK but it is your boot floppy which is not working correctly. Check with the docs above &/or search this forum to find out how to dual boot with XP.

Similar Threads

  1. Can I reinstall win98 without wiping out knoppix hdd?
    By turbine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. Can't get Knoppix to dual-boot with Win98
    By plzdontspamme in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
  3. Restoring win98 MBR with Knoppix CD
    By knophead in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
  5. bootloader question for win98, Mandrake and Knoppix
    By NewbieEd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$400.00



Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails picture

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x15TB NVME 10GbE Rails

$61452.99



Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails picture

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(16x32) 8x3.84TB NVME 100GbE Rails

$36371.99



Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x3.84TB NVME 10GbE Rails picture

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2x 6505P 12 Core 512GB(8x64) 8x3.84TB NVME 10GbE Rails

$40852.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00