-
Knoppix troubles - help!
I am trying to use Knoppix on my mother's computer, but no matter what I try, it always locks up during boot. She has an old eMachines computer with a Cyrix MII 266 MMX processor, 192 MB RAM, a 2.1 GB Hd (never used by Knoppix, of course), and an ATI 3D Rage IIc video card.
If I allow Knoppix to boot without any special instructions, it always locks after detecting the processor. If I specify "knoppix no usb apm scsi" or any combination of those, it locks after detecting APM features, which it detects immediately after detecting the processor. And if I use "failsafe", it boots normally until it tries to start X, at which time the screen goes blank, and sometimes the CD-ROM drive keeps reading from the CD for an indefinite amount of time. Never does the X GUI start.
I cannot use "knoppix 2" because it locks after detecting the processor. I have tried using "failsafe knoppix 2" and "failsafe 2", but it does not seem to understand my intent.
Is there some way to boot to text mode only and have failsafe mode? And does anyone have any ideas on how I might start X? I have used this very same CD successfully on the computer I used to download and burn it. It had the thing booted to a full KDE desktop faster than Windows XP Home can boot. Everything worked. Both I and my friend were very impressed; he even asked for a copy.
Can anyone help me with the problems I am having on my mother's computer? Any suggestions as to what I can do to get it working? Thanks in advance!
P.S. - Downloading a new version of Knoppix is not easy for me. I have only a modem, and in order to even be able to download it, I need to use broadband because it changes so often. So I have to "borrow" bandwidth from this friend of mine, and that's not something I can do very often.
Similar Threads
-
By Pelvis Resley in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 06:42 AM
-
By The_Martian in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-17-2004, 12:42 AM
-
By cameik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:35 AM
-
By malic in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 09:05 AM
-
By knopperj in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08