-
lock root shell
I need to lock the root shell to stop access to local harddisks. I know, that all passwords are disabled by default.
Can I enable them, especially the root password, when remastering knoppix?
passwd doesnt help because it creates a password for root, but doesnt lock su or the root shell.
Please help me.
Mikkey
uuups, I forgot. The remastered knoppix with passwords enabled should run from cd.
-
I'm guessing here but I would chroot to the uncompressed knoppix, set a root password and also remove sudoers file or edit it. Then remaster; the new burned CD should then not allow su, login as root or sudo unless you know the root password so make it long and difficult. I don't know if there is anything during startup where user knoppix needs su permissions so I think that should work.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try removing sudo from your remaster. kdesu and gksu both insist on having passwords.
-
Thanks a lot. I try it and tell you.
Mikkey
-
Sorry, it doesnt work, because kde doesnt start anymore.
Any suggestions how to lock the root shell and to enable a root password?
Mikkey
-
Juppiii
it works. Thanks a lot, mzilikazi and Steve F.
First I chroot to the uncompressed knoppix and set a password for root.
Then I removed only sudo from the uncompressed knoppix and remastered it. KDE starts, the root shell is locked, the applications I tested are working.
Only a usb memory stick isnt recogniced any more but that doesnt matter.
Mikkey
-
Aaaargh.
Three root shells / terminals are still open if you press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to F4 in kde.
Any suggestions how to lock them?
Mikkey
-
Ya, that should be an easy fix. Those shells are started up from /etc/inittab . My knoppix CD inittab has lines like these:
1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
2:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty2 2>&1 </dev/tty2
3:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty3 2>&1 </dev/tty3
4:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty4 2>&1 </dev/tty4
The HD install inittab is like this:
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
You can comment most of them out with '#' at the beginning of the line or remove them completly. I would leave the first one in (HD version) case you need to login. Since it is getty, your user could only do things within the premission set of their login.
-
Thank you, Steve F.
I tried it and it worked.
Great.
Mikkey
Similar Threads
-
By sbratton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:29 AM
-
By bhavin in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
-
By fritschi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
-
By mabhatter in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$84.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket
$249.99

MG08SCA16TE Toshiba 16TB 7.2K SAS 12gb/s 512e 3.5inch HDD HDEPN10GEA51 NEW
$454.44