Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: lock root shell

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6

    lock root shell

    I need to lock the root shell to stop access to local harddisks. I know, that all passwords are disabled by default.
    Can I enable them, especially the root password, when remastering knoppix?
    passwd doesnt help because it creates a password for root, but doesnt lock su or the root shell.

    Please help me.

    Mikkey

    uuups, I forgot. The remastered knoppix with passwords enabled should run from cd.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    I'm guessing here but I would chroot to the uncompressed knoppix, set a root password and also remove sudoers file or edit it. Then remaster; the new burned CD should then not allow su, login as root or sudo unless you know the root password so make it long and difficult. I don't know if there is anything during startup where user knoppix needs su permissions so I think that should work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Try removing sudo from your remaster. kdesu and gksu both insist on having passwords.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    Thanks a lot. I try it and tell you.

    Mikkey

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6

    Sorry, it doesnt work, because kde doesnt start anymore.
    Any suggestions how to lock the root shell and to enable a root password?

    Mikkey

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6


    Juppiii
    it works. Thanks a lot, mzilikazi and Steve F.
    First I chroot to the uncompressed knoppix and set a password for root.
    Then I removed only sudo from the uncompressed knoppix and remastered it. KDE starts, the root shell is locked, the applications I tested are working.
    Only a usb memory stick isnt recogniced any more but that doesnt matter.

    Mikkey

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    Aaaargh.
    Three root shells / terminals are still open if you press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to F4 in kde.

    Any suggestions how to lock them?

    Mikkey

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Ya, that should be an easy fix. Those shells are started up from /etc/inittab . My knoppix CD inittab has lines like these:

    1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
    2:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty2 2>&1 </dev/tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty3 2>&1 </dev/tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty4 2>&1 </dev/tty4

    The HD install inittab is like this:

    1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
    5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
    6:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

    You can comment most of them out with '#' at the beginning of the line or remove them completly. I would leave the first one in (HD version) case you need to login. Since it is getty, your user could only do things within the premission set of their login.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    Thank you, Steve F.

    I tried it and it worked.
    Great.

    Mikkey

Similar Threads

  1. lock during install
    By sbratton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM
  2. Knoppix installer from root shell, or knx2hd from boot?
    By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:29 AM
  3. Lock Desktop !
    By bhavin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
  4. root-shell doesn´t open ??
    By fritschi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
  5. Lock-up after boot?
    By mabhatter in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box picture

Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box

$80.00



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00