-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
garyng
Um.
1. I don't want to carry a full size CD, can it be done with a flash keychain or mini-CD ?
2. Paying for storage ? Not a good idea. I would rather have it stored in another flash keychain, it cost next to nothing, much faster than accessing over the net. Beside, I get 1G storage for free already on gmail.
Basically, not impressive, I would say.
The flash keychain Idea was already more than an idea, but after testing we found soo many machines, that had no usb boot support. So then you would also need to carry around a boot cd or boot floppy, to boot from the keychain. Which seems now more than a full size cd to carry around.
Unfortunately with the smallest we got it, we have missed mini-cd size(s)
I am not here to step on any toes, but yes i know you get 1GB on gmail, and there is an AWESOME development with gmailfs, but like i have said before, and read before here in these posts. Do you think google, is just going to let thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people bombard their server's with a persistent connection. so you can throw around Gb's of data. That is not what they meant it for. in fact anyone in marketing knows you could probably give away 10 Terabytes for email, and it wouldn't matter because of the way it is sent and stored.
I honestly hope the gmailfs takes off, but i don't think google, is going to think very highly of it. and will definitely do something to prevent its usage in the event it gets as big as everyone hopes.
I also figured with a pay for storage, that I wouldn't have to addon to any software with html links to donate pages (I use software that has this, and if it wasn't for the fact that i either really need the software, or i really liked it, i would toss it) So no beggers here
Plus we also tried to make the cost next to nothing. I mean $5/mth isn't really much, and I know its far from a Gig of storage, but it will be much faster than the gmailfs, plus the whole idea of ours was not so somebody could bring 1GB of data all over. I don't see how anyone will be able to do this for a while, no matter what the costs of storage, servers, or internet lines.
Like we have said on our mainpage and in other forums, this isn't for everyone, and we can accept that.
But to just come out and bash us with a non impressive for no real technical issues, really isn't all that great either.
Of course I wish i could give, or receive an 1GB account with blazing 100Mb speed dedicated to me. But think about it, you get 1000 accounts on a line that is even 100Mb, that you can be paying upwards of $10,000/mth for with all the transfer bandwith you might be using. The speed is going to be slow. and i don't know anyone who can afford to have a couple gigabit lines, to use to just freely give away the type of storage, and speed required to do this for free... Maybe when in the future houses have 100Mb lines, and people frown upon oc13 because oc838383 is out, such a thing could happen. But we are just trying to work with whats available.
Similar Threads
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-11-2005, 03:08 AM
-
By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM
-
By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 19
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 09:56 PM
-
By pilovis in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By lindleyrl in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00