Quote Originally Posted by conrad10781
Wow, gary, that hurts!. but to get to that point. since the WHOLE operating system isn't run remotely. it is as stable as your cd drive. the webspace that is alloted, is for user config files. IE Desktop settings, and some small files you wanted to save. IE a document or spreadsheet. Speed shouldn't be much of a problem, since the servers are on a rack, that by next week should be going from 5Mb to 10Mb, and up to 100Mb by the end of the month if things really start to pick up. We have 2 servers. one only being an entire mirror of the other, and both servers already have RAID 5 setups. I am a little bit of a overkill kind of guy anyway. I am sure one server with raid 5 is enough, but we figure if we have 2 we not only did it right, but we would have almost no downtime, as we would just switch ip's, to limit downtime to minutes ifnot seconds.
Ah, you misunderstand me. I am not questioning your service reliability but the mode it is operating in. If I actively use this remote FS(as just another mount point), the communication channel would be the weak point, if it breaks, the open files would be gone. This is in sharp contrast with VNC/Rdesktop where I just reconnect and all my work would still be there.

I would only use this kind of setup as "rsync" backup but that requires user intervention anyway. Another possibility would be a NBD device and turns it into a remote RAID device. The performance would suffer though.

Then there is a the security concern for corporate users.

Once again, these are just issues pop up in my mind, not bashing.