Hello all-

I installed the nvidia drivers last night, and things went ok, but i changed my default color depth to 32 (supported in winXP) but x wouldnt start telling me that the color depth was not supported. So i shutdown, popped in the knoppix CD and went to edit my xf86config file. I couldnt save any changes as i didnt have 'permission'. The partition was mounted correctly, enabled write and everything. I assume it was because i was not logged in as root, since under permissions of the file only root was listed. I opened a shell and tried to login as root, but it kept asking for a password.

Do i have to change the root password first? Open a root shell, type passwd, change it then login as root?

Its a 2 second change i have to make to my xf86congif file but 20 minutes to figure out how to save it correctly

any help would be great, thanks again!
-jamie