-
Help me, got some questions.
Hi guys, I am totally new to Linux and I am using Knoppix to find my way around using Linux. Now there are some basic questions I would like to know. I hope you guys can help me out.
(Important note! This is info I need for school work. And I am working in the console. So I'm just working with commands and not with a GUI.)
1) I found some basic commands and I was wondering how to use them, what different options there are and what you use them for etc.
they are:
man ls, ls -la, ls /etc | less, ps -aux, grep '#!/bin/sh' /usr/bin/*,
2) I was looking at the directory structure. What kind of files are where, and what do they do. My question is how (for instance) do I mount the floppydrive, or how do I format one? How do I put my "home"directory on a USB stick?
3) How do I create users and groups? If for instance I wanted to make a group called "Student" (with the ID "2222") for two users.
4) I have to create 4 text files that can be read by both users, only user 1, only user 2, and none of them (root). How can I do this?
5) How can I execute and stop a program or command in the background?
6) I wanna figure out how VI works, and for instance how to get line numbers on screen.
7) How can I simply write, compile and execute a c++ program with keyboard as input, screen as output and command lines as parameters)
If even you have only an answer on 1 of these questions, I would be happy. If you have more answers it is of course, always better.
I really hope you can help me out. Tnx in advance!
ps. I do need to know most of it by wednesday. After that you don't really have to bother posting cause then I am supposed to know anyway.
Similar Threads
-
By NitroSpazzz in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
-
By kn2user in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
-
By Liquidant in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:28 PM
-
By jshah329 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 12:43 AM
-
By schunn99 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99