Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: the best backup system for knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    the best backup system for knoppix?

    Since using linux, I have finally got an installation that would kill me if I lost it...and trust me, the old linux saying, "if it aint broke, fix it till it is." is my mantra. I am looking for a program that allows me to do a disk by disk copy with the first disk being bootable. I have apt-cache searched and even installed a couple of them but they look a bit complex for my simple noob mind. Does anyone have a preference for both ease and function?

    thanx

    helios

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: the best backup system for knoppix?

    Quote Originally Posted by helios17
    Since using linux, I have finally got an installation that would kill me if I lost it...and trust me, the old linux saying, "if it aint broke, fix it till it is." is my mantra. I am looking for a program that allows me to do a disk by disk copy with the first disk being bootable. I have apt-cache searched and even installed a couple of them but they look a bit complex for my simple noob mind. Does anyone have a preference for both ease and function?

    thanx

    helios
    I'm not really understanding what you want here. Do you want to make a iamge of a disk? (partimage) Do you want to make a perfect copy? (dd) What?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    boot an alternative linux that don't mount your "beloved" system then do a dd.

    I continue to advice people to use loopback file system even for a HD installation. This will make future backup easier.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: the best backup system for knoppix?

    Quote Originally Posted by helios17
    Since using linux, I have finally got an installation that would kill me if I lost it...and trust me, the old linux saying, "if it aint broke, fix it till it is." is my mantra. I am looking for a program that allows me to do a disk by disk copy with the first disk being bootable. I have apt-cache searched and even installed a couple of them but they look a bit complex for my simple noob mind. Does anyone have a preference for both ease and function?

    thanx

    helios
    'Disk by disk' copy...do you mean the equivalent of a master installation disk?
    This certainly should be possible, all 'normal' (ie not 'run from CD') distros do it but I've never seen a how to. I'm sure it involves more than a simple disk copy since at the very least you would have to create an install script which would boot up a mini system then install the applications etc to your target computer. One problem with just a straight disk copy would be that it would have the hardware setup for the source computer only.
    How big is your system? If you are 2 Gig or under you might be able to make a single disk 'remaster'. This can be done from a 'Knoppix style' HD install but might not work for a 'Debian' or 'beginner' style install. On the other hand, it just might work, only a year or so ago remastering from a HD install was just a pipe dream.
    Check with the How-to http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...HDInstallHowTo & see if you can make the big Knoppix compressed file system. If this goes OK, add a 'toHD' install somewhere on you system, then replace the 'KNOPPIX' file on your 'toHD' install with your new one & see if it will run. If so, proceed to make your iso & burn the CD.
    If it won't run or if it is too big to fit on a CD, it still may be useful as a backup, you could store it somewhere secure on your system. If you need to restore, "just uncompress & restore your system". I've put this in quotes because I don't know if it will work & haven't any idea how to do it (sorry).

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38

    Backup Plan

    I have two 16 gb partitions on the same drive. One is my active knoppix system and the other is available for backup. I want to protect my ( at the moment !) working system from my LINUX stupidity by using dd to copy
    hdb1 to hdb2. If I boot from a knoppix cd willl

    dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hdb2

    do the job. After I break my working system I plan to boot the cd
    and do the dd again

    dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/dev/hdb1

    Corrections , suggestions and/or criticisms very welcome

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80
    Hei

    IF you also have XP on your system (and sufficient funds) I would invest in Acronis 'True Image' (requires Nero 'InCD'). It has saved my life quickly and simply on several occasions!

    You can do disk to disk backup/restore to/from a hidden zone or disk to dvd.

    In fact its about the only thing I use XP for now...

    regards

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38

    the best backup system for knoppix?

    Did the dd from hdb1 to hdb2.... appeared to work. Took 90 minutes.
    Can access everything on hdb2. Haven't tried to go back...
    more to come

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the comand
    Code:
    cp -ax / /mount_ point_of_hdb2
    should work about as well.
    that wil just copu everything from hda1 to hda2 while preserving all filepermisions... then after copying it back just rerun lilo and enjoy

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    GaTk,

    About the only flaw I can see in your backup scheme is,

    Since you are backing up from hdb1 to hdb2, this may save you if, say the hdb1 partition goes crazy and you get it "mucked up", but, in the case where you have a complete hard drive failure, i.e. hdb goes out on you, you have your original and backup on the same drive.

    For a quick restore, you may want to use that hdb2 partition, for ease, and availability, but, a long term solution, you may want to include "off storing" that hdb2 to some other drive, or media, as a complete backup scheme. That way, if you need to quickly restore a single file, or the complete install, hdb2 is right there for use. In the case of a complete drive crash, you have the "fall-back" of a "off stored" hdb2 backup as well... Just some thoughts

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    rsync is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Backup Linux System
    By emmbec in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
  2. Backup Program for Knoppix HDD Installed System
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
  3. Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB
    By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD
    By monkymind in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
  5. knoppix for backup
    By mohater in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard picture

*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard

$37.98



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99