Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: the best backup system for knoppix?

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38

    the best backup system for knoppix?

    Thanks for the varied suggestions on partition backup. The 90 minute dd of the whole partition did not reboot after being re-copied. I modified and used the suggested copy command and it reduced the time to 15 minutes.

    cp -ax --reply=yes /a /b

    The reverse of this command would not boot.

    I am aware of the consequences of "same" drive backups. FWIW I struggled with RedHat 6 and ftape for months.... dropped the whole thing and gave my tape machine the deep six. Another FWIW.... the ASR system from Billy isn't worth a damn if your motherboared dies !!!!

    Still looking

    Ted in Atlanta

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: the best backup system for knoppix?

    Quote Originally Posted by helios17
    Since using linux, I have finally got an installation that would kill me if I lost it...and trust me, the old linux saying, "if it aint broke, fix it till it is." is my mantra. I am looking for a program that allows me to do a disk by disk copy with the first disk being bootable. I have apt-cache searched and even installed a couple of them but they look a bit complex for my simple noob mind. Does anyone have a preference for both ease and function?

    thanx

    helios
    To get back to the original poster, I use kbackup. It comes with knoppix, on the CD - so as to a "failsafe" restore, boot CD and restore. I have two "physical" hard drives, with a few partitions on each, I backup my system to a different hard drive, and retain a few "images" of these backups for selective restores. Kbackup is a GUI "like" program, it uses "text ascii" to make its graphics, kind of like a lot of old DOS programs. It took a little work, with all the configurations and such, but now that I have it configured, all I have to do is load the config, and then change the file that it creates for the backup.

    No so much a "disk to disk" kind of backup though, I run it to backup from the root, and exclude the "mount points" that I dont want included in my backup, like my mounted second hard drive, where I store the file at. It works for me, but may not work for what you are looking for, but, you wanted to know what people are using. I haven't tried a restore yet, considering most of my restores are complete re-installs, of a new release, lately...

    I guess my "current" backup scheme is that of getting a accidental deleted file kind of thing, or being able to check if something changes, but, not for a complete install...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    THIS is what I was looking for when I originally posted

    The answer is: mondo.

    http://phazeman.mail333.com/Mondo_Rescue_CD_HOWTO.htm

    did exactly what I wanted it to do and it is fairly noob-friendly. can be obtained thru apt with all dependencies.

    thanx.

    helios

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Backup Linux System
    By emmbec in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
  2. Backup Program for Knoppix HDD Installed System
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
  3. Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB
    By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD
    By monkymind in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
  5. knoppix for backup
    By mohater in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00