Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Has anyone tried this? - fixed /boot for reload

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    18

    Has anyone tried this? - fixed /boot for reload

    I am thinking of setting my Knoppix system to boot off of Grub in a /boot partition.

    What I plan to do is setup a /boot partition on my HD with all the Grub conf et cetera in it. Of course, when I reload a new Knoppix CD sometime in the future the /boot partition with Grub will not get mapped in fstab. If I don't set the MBR with lilo, I expect not to mess up my Grub MBR boot. I will have to boot from a floppy or CD the first time while I change the fstab on the HD so that everything comes up ok. And fix the /boot directory that Knoppix sets in the fs. Is my thinking right? Once Grub is setup the first time everything looks straight-forward after that. I will add the new kernel stuff and modules as it becomes available.

    This will allow me to keep the partition without it getting overwritten by lilo each time I reload a new version of Knoppix. I like some systems to play with and others for production!

    At first, I was a little put off with the lack of being able to load into multiple partitions during the install of Knoppix, but I am seeing that this is not totally bad.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    When I install any flavor of Linux I always install LILO to the /root partition of that installation. Then I simply edit LILO in the MBR and add "/dev/hd?" and Label="blah" rerun /sbin/lilo and it shows up nicely in my animated ice skating penguin LILO boot screen. I don't do GRUB but it is the same for any boot manager. So technically I use LILO twice everytime I boot an OS.

    BTW- When you install Knoppix and select 'no' to install LILO to MBR it is installed instead to the /root partition.

Similar Threads

  1. Want a fixed IP address
    By RT in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 09:18 AM
  2. Has 2004-5-10 been fixed??
    By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 06:03 AM
  3. FIXED, thanks!
    By brinstar117 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 01:46 AM
  4. Getting gnome to reload a saved session off remastered CD
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 11:09 PM
  5. has the logout feature fixed yet?
    By heathenx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50