So...I decided to experiment with a Knoppix hard drive install because I exchange firewire hard drives and pcmcia memory cards often...and I love the way Knoppix handles hardware detection. I have been previously running Debian Sarge...so I am not unfamiliar with a Debian system.
The question I have pertains to an interest in what is happening during the boot process, rather than a complaint about what is taking so long.
I installed Knoppix as "Beginner" so that I could have multiple users, and still have the great hardware detection that I was looking for.
The system boots up...then the kdm starts. That is where things start to happen that I don't understand. I get the grey screen when the X server starts...and it stays there for what seems like an eternity before moving on to the login screen. The hard drive light is running solid during this time.
What exactly is going on here that is taking so long to process...and hitting the hard drive light so much? My guess is that it reconfigures all of the X config files and stuff on the fly. Does it do the actual hard drive detection stuff then also...such as creating desktop icons and mount points and writing the new fstab? Why do you suppose it takes longer to get running on the hard drive install than from the cd-rom? (By the way...I don't know for a fact that it takes longer...it just seems to me that it does.)
Just curious.

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99
Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM
$180.00
SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT
$150.00
(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM
$180.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Samsung 64GB 2Rx4 PC5-4800B-RA0-1010-XT M321R8GA0BB0-CQKDS DDR5 EC8 RDIMM TH646
$2049.98
SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99
Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 — ram memory
$149.00
2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99
SAMSUNG 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q ECC REG Server Memory RAM
$250.00