Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Installation by the numbers ???

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2

    Installation by the numbers ???

    ... So far I've tried to install about four versions of Linux and all of them had problems finding my hardware.(Mouse ect)

    ... Knoppix on the other hand finds everything and will happily surf the web for me and I can use Gmail with no problems, but only running it from the CD!

    ... I have not managed to get it installed and therefore I can not bookmark websites or download things from the web.

    ... I think Knoppix needs an installation primer to install the program step by step ie:

    Do this...then do this, then do this.... ect!

    ... This is where Knoppix falls down! It runs great but is difficult to install!

    ...Even better would be an install disk to automate the installation as most other distributions have.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Have you tried knoppix-installer (V3.6) in /usr/sbin directory? It is a menu driven installer where you can define configuration parameters, partition the disk, copy the system to HD and automatically set up all the necessary files for proper booting and running from HD?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Installation by the numbers ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhymer75
    ... So far I've tried to install about four versions of Linux and all of them had problems finding my hardware.(Mouse ect)

    ... Knoppix on the other hand finds everything and will happily surf the web for me and I can use Gmail with no problems, but only running it from the CD!

    ... I have not managed to get it installed and therefore I can not bookmark websites or download things from the web.

    ... I think Knoppix needs an installation primer to install the program step by step ie:

    Do this...then do this, then do this.... ect!

    ... This is where Knoppix falls down! It runs great but is difficult to install!

    ...Even better would be an install disk to automate the installation as most other distributions have.
    If all you want is too save bookmarks and such Persistant home might be your thing. Go to the knoppix menu (little penguin icon) and seardch for persistant home.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    Have you tried knoppix-installer (V3.6) in /usr/sbin directory? It is a menu driven installer where you can define configuration parameters, partition the disk, copy the system to HD and automatically set up all the necessary files for proper booting and running from HD?
    ... Geeesh! I don't even know how to find that directory steve! I don't see any signposts pointing to it or any place to download it from!

    I'll certainly try it if I can find it!

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    You can start in the Docs link above. There is a FAQ on HD install at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall .

    You should be able to type knoppix-installer from a shell after kde starts up. I referenced /usr/sbin because that's where the script is located in case you wanted to 'look inside'. It sounds like that might be a little beyond your knowledge for now. Keep looking at docs and other posts in the HD Install forum.

Similar Threads

  1. hardware model numbers
    By Jakykong in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 10:22 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 10:08 PM
  3. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  4. What to do after installation?
    By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
  5. First installation ok... and the others?
    By OverIP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



WorldTalk Phone InterAct SV-2030 PC Internet VOIP IBM/PC Compatible, Sealed, NEW picture

WorldTalk Phone InterAct SV-2030 PC Internet VOIP IBM/PC Compatible, Sealed, NEW

$27.95



Poly wx 350 Voip Phones  picture

Poly wx 350 Voip Phones

$25.00



Ubiquiti UniFi Talk UVP-Touch VoIP IP Phone PoE Touchscreen Tested Reset picture

Ubiquiti UniFi Talk UVP-Touch VoIP IP Phone PoE Touchscreen Tested Reset

$64.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99