Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Can't boot HD-install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nixa Missouri
    Posts
    6

    Can't boot HD-install

    When I try to boot a brand-new installation of either beginner or debian (am on tenth reinstall of Knoppix 3.6 EN) it will just give me a bunch of 9's on the screen. lilo only works from the floppy, but fails saying something about the kernel stack overlapping lilo second-stage. Yes, I did verify disk integrity.

    HDA1=swap
    HDA2=destination

    AMD K6-2, 128mb ram, 6.4gb HD, not much else. NO NETWORK CAPABILITY.

    I will try to get more info.

    A little help, maybe?

    A newbie

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4
    Sorry I really can't offer you any help with your problem, but I thought I would mention that I just installed the latest Knoppix on two different systems...with different partition configurations...and neither install properly installed lilo. In fact both machines had GRUB installed from previous distributions...and the GRUB loader was still present in the MBR. I ended up manullay creating a menu.list file...and everything works great now.

    I guess the point I am trying to make is that Knoppix seems to not do very well at installing boot loaders. You might end up installing the boot loader using a different method. If I were you, I would try and boot from the CD...then chroot into the harddrive installation to see if you can run lilo from there. I say that...but I have had no luck chrooting to the hard drive installation from the Knoppix CD...but I have had luck using other livecd distros. Problem just me.

    Good luck...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    1)Remove lilo:
    lilo -u /dev/hda
    or using dos/windows boot disk/floppy
    fdisk /mbr

    2)Reinstall lilo
    check your /etc/lilo.conf
    lilo -v

    3)If you want to install Grub
    /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda
    update-grub
    3.1) Grub boot floppy
    mkfs /dev/fd0
    mount /floppy/
    mkdir -p /floppy/boot/grub
    cp /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst /floppy/boot/grub/
    umount /floppy/

    4) Use other boot manager, ex: GAG
    http://gag.sourceforge.net/

    Hope this will help

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nixa Missouri
    Posts
    6

    A little more info

    here is what the console displays when installation is complete(a
    little cut paste floppy work):

    THIS IS THE ERRORS ON INSTALL.

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ umount /dev/hda1
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer
    No Implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout! Parted can't resize this (yet).
    No Implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout! Parted can't resize this (yet).
    cp: reading `usr/share/ImageMagick-6.0.5/LICENSE': Input/output error
    cp: reading `usr/share/ImageMagick-6.0.5/Magick.pdf': Input/output error
    cp: reading `usr/share/bacula-common/defconfig/bacula-dir.conf': Input/output error
    cp: reading `usr/share/bacula-common/defconfig/bacula-fd.conf': Input/output error
    cp: reading `usr/share/bacula-common/defconfig/bacula-sd.conf': Input/output error
    cp: reading `usr/share/bacula-common/defconfig/console.conf': Input/output error
    cp: reading `usr/share/bacula-common/defconfig/gnome-console.conf': Input/output error
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./Ethereal.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./EtherealAsRoot.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./qtparted.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applnk/./Settings/Peripherals/kxconfig.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.

    #here is where it makes the bootfloppy

    mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=1024 (log=0)
    Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
    184 inodes, 1440 blocks
    72 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=1
    1 block group
    8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
    184 inodes per group

    Writing inode tables: done
    Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

    This filesystem will be automatically checked every 32 mounts or
    180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
    Ignoring entry 'boot'
    Ignoring entry 'install'
    Ignoring entry 'map'
    Warning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systems
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Added Linux *
    Added Linux(2.4)-1
    Added Linux(2.6)-2
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

    APPARRENTLY I NEED MODULE 'LIBDEVMAPPER' I DON'T HAVE IT AND APPARENTLY CAN'T GET IT.


    if that helps any. I think most of my problem is LILO. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out. In the meantime I am downloading Mandrake 10.1, just in case. Oh yeah, i only have access to a bad dial-up connection. 2gig X 2.5KBps = just in time for Christmas.

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Try delete all partition and create new one using cfdisk or other partition manager.



  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Also, when you partition you also have to format. Not only that, just selecting format isn't enough. You must select save or 'commit' in order for the partitioner to actually change the disk surface. The errors you are getting look like the partition isn't formated (maybe).

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nixa Missouri
    Posts
    6

    Suggestions don't seem to work

    I tried to do the LILO uninstall/reinstall and then the GRUB install. Everytime I hit [enter] after typing in one of the commands, it gave me an error: "Read-only filesystem". Write access was enabled, I couldn't do it as root either, and I couldn't chroot into the harddrive. LILO.conf is empty. I don't know what to put in it. Look at what I found in the bug list:

    34. When knoppix-installer (beginner) finishes, I get the following error messages:

    knoppix@ttyp0knoppix$ IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./Ethereal.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./?EtherealAsRoot.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./qtparted.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applnk/./Settings/Peripherals/kxconfig.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda1"
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda2"
    Warning: CHANGE AUTOMATIC assumed after "other=/dev/hda3"
    This is most distressing . I am reinstalling a Debian-like install right now. I booted to run level 2 and tried the commands again and they still gave me a read-only error. I was finally able to use cfdisk and I erased my partition tables and rewrote them (yes, I hit write and typed 'yes').

    Some other notes I forgot to mention: The harddisk I am using is the only one in the system and meant only for knoppix use. I was able to successfully install knoppix a few days ago on another HD before it burned out. Whenever knoppix is installing, it beeps twice when it is finished copying . I also run windows on the computer, but I physically swap harddrives because a past knoppix install with both drives in resulted in the windows MBR getting goofed up. Windows will not recognize any other HD than it's own and will hang on boot.

    Any further ideas would certainly be apperciated.

    The Geek (wanna-be anyways)

    PS: Just finished installing, more "Read-only filesystem' errors. I cannot write anything to the HD after install, period. Maybe Bad HD, Bad CDD, Bad Knoppix, Bad hardware? They all check out until install. No problems running live.

    EDIT: GAG doesn't work either. Hit 'boot linux' and it goes to a bunch of 9's. I will try switching the drive to a slave configuration of first successful install.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Had exact problem. My solution was to delete the partitions and recreate them. Format each one then run the live cd and knoppix-installer ran finally without any errors. Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nixa Missouri
    Posts
    6

    still trying

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    Had exact problem. My solution was to delete the partitions and recreate them. Format each one then run the live cd and knoppix-installer ran finally without any errors. Hope this helps.
    Only one thing, I reformat and repartition almost every reinstall. This time I am reformatting with fdisk from windows boot disk. cfdisk almost never works saying that it could not open the harddisk.

    Anything else I can try? Perhaps a sledgehammer or axe?

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nixa Missouri
    Posts
    6

    On a happier note...

    I seem to have experienced success in installing Knoppix. For anyone else out there who may be struggling with the same problem, this is what i did.

    1. Make boot partition inactive.

    2. Install

    3. Point BIOS to drive

    Pretty simple, huh? Now I remember that that was what I did the first time I had success. I will play around with it a little more and see what the outcome is.

    Thanx for all the help everyone!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Create XP install boot CD using k3b
    By AlfKnoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
  2. Install under W2K - boot from USB stick??
    By adriansmith in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 09:01 AM
  3. HD Install won't boot
    By phillip in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 09:13 PM
  4. New User... need some help with Install/Boot
    By Vapor in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 08:56 PM
  5. install with ap-get from cd boot
    By jmpereira in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM picture

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM

$8.88



Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM picture

Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM

$39.99



IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New picture

IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New

$999.99



2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500 picture

2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500

$119.00



IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver  Untested As PARTS. Read Description. picture

IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver Untested As PARTS. Read Description.

$32.99



IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver  Untested picture

IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver Untested

$40.49



IBM Face Plate for OEM IMI 5012H 10MB MFM 5.25

IBM Face Plate for OEM IMI 5012H 10MB MFM 5.25" Full Height Hard Disk Drive

$29.99



IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan picture

IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan

$19.99



NEW IBM Lenovo T61 14in 4;3 NOT WIDE motherboard  T601F FRANKENPAD 44C3924 OEM picture

NEW IBM Lenovo T61 14in 4;3 NOT WIDE motherboard T601F FRANKENPAD 44C3924 OEM

$299.95



Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK OEM Genuine picture

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK OEM Genuine

$7.99