Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Can't boot HD-install

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I also used fdisk. It did not work until I did it with fdisk.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nixa Missouri
    Posts
    6

    cfdisk/qtparted problem?

    Maybe there is a problem with QTparted or cfdisk that prevents it from making the tables correctly. I ended up with about 2 meg on either end of the drive that is free space. I might be able to live with it as long as it keeps working.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    I find Linux to have a problem when quick formatting - it seems to not actually be able to forget what is underneath. You need to do an unconditional format of the partition. For lack of better tools I find that if you use FDISK from Microsoft and then format the partition as a FAT32 and then use CFDISK in Linux - only changing the type to a Linux Partition and not deleting it - then write - everything will always work fine. QTParted is a useless program I believe. Be sure to format after using MS FDISK.

    cya

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    This is what I did to solve this problem.
    I never use qtparted as I see it as buggy app. I use cfdisk to do the partitioning.
    But before I run knoppix-installer, I will reboot first.
    Rebooting seem solved my problem with installation.

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    I never use qtparted as I see it as buggy app. I use cfdisk to do the partitioning.
    Qtparted is odd isn't it? I mean it is a very good looking app but I have found it grossly buggy as well. It often displays a completely incorrect partition map to what I have and its operations fail for no reported reason. cfdisk works perfectly every time. I thought it was something about my machine but it seems a few people have reported these issues with Qtparted. I wonder what the developers are thinking?

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9

    Re: On a happier note...

    Can you clarify what you mean by item 3 (point bios to drive)
    thanks

    > 1. Make boot partition inactive.
    > 2. Install
    > 3. Point BIOS to drive

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I have also had Linux fdisk give the 'rather strange filesystem' error when trying to read a partition with Knoppix on it; to resize it I had to first remove knoppix.
    I have also tried QTparted...I found that using it I could get the partitions exact size with no dead space between them. It was a PITA trying to do this with parted as it would not autocorrect anything, it would even let you overlap partitions! I have succesfully used it to move & resize partitions which do not have Knoppix installed on them, it will do this without loss of data.
    I agree with BubbaCola, do your partitions with MS fdisk then reformat to ext3 is the most reliable initial setup method. But if you have to resize afterward, QTParted does work & it has enough goof-proof in it that you are not really likely to slaughter anything.
    Also, the version of parted that comes with Knoppix is an abbreviated version called 'parted-bf', perhaps the full version works better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Create XP install boot CD using k3b
    By AlfKnoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
  2. Install under W2K - boot from USB stick??
    By adriansmith in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 09:01 AM
  3. HD Install won't boot
    By phillip in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 09:13 PM
  4. New User... need some help with Install/Boot
    By Vapor in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 08:56 PM
  5. install with ap-get from cd boot
    By jmpereira in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50