Maybe there is a problem with QTparted or cfdisk that prevents it from making the tables correctly. I ended up with about 2 meg on either end of the drive that is free space. I might be able to live with it as long as it keeps working.
I also used fdisk. It did not work until I did it with fdisk.
Maybe there is a problem with QTparted or cfdisk that prevents it from making the tables correctly. I ended up with about 2 meg on either end of the drive that is free space. I might be able to live with it as long as it keeps working.
I find Linux to have a problem when quick formatting - it seems to not actually be able to forget what is underneath. You need to do an unconditional format of the partition. For lack of better tools I find that if you use FDISK from Microsoft and then format the partition as a FAT32 and then use CFDISK in Linux - only changing the type to a Linux Partition and not deleting it - then write - everything will always work fine. QTParted is a useless program I believe. Be sure to format after using MS FDISK.
cya
This is what I did to solve this problem.
I never use qtparted as I see it as buggy app. I use cfdisk to do the partitioning.
But before I run knoppix-installer, I will reboot first.
Rebooting seem solved my problem with installation.
![]()
![]()
Qtparted is odd isn't it? I mean it is a very good looking app but I have found it grossly buggy as well. It often displays a completely incorrect partition map to what I have and its operations fail for no reported reason. cfdisk works perfectly every time. I thought it was something about my machine but it seems a few people have reported these issues with Qtparted. I wonder what the developers are thinking?Originally Posted by shah
Can you clarify what you mean by item 3 (point bios to drive)
thanks
> 1. Make boot partition inactive.
> 2. Install
> 3. Point BIOS to drive
I have also had Linux fdisk give the 'rather strange filesystem' error when trying to read a partition with Knoppix on it; to resize it I had to first remove knoppix.
I have also tried QTparted...I found that using it I could get the partitions exact size with no dead space between them. It was a PITA trying to do this with parted as it would not autocorrect anything, it would even let you overlap partitions! I have succesfully used it to move & resize partitions which do not have Knoppix installed on them, it will do this without loss of data.
I agree with BubbaCola, do your partitions with MS fdisk then reformat to ext3 is the most reliable initial setup method. But if you have to resize afterward, QTParted does work & it has enough goof-proof in it that you are not really likely to slaughter anything.
Also, the version of parted that comes with Knoppix is an abbreviated version called 'parted-bf', perhaps the full version works better.

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$180.00
HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001
$14.90
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
HPE B-series 16Gb SFP+ QK724A Pull Tab Optical Transceiver
$10.00
Lot of 3 Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-LR Transceiver Module 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 10-2457-02
$35.00
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99