Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    6

    questions

    1. will knoppix run along side windows xp when it is on my hard drive
    2. where can I download knoppix
    3. is it good for programming


    sor if this has been asked a million times, I am new to linux.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Yes it can. I had it on a different partition with xp on the other. I say had because I hd installed kanotix over it. Now I have xp, Me, red hat, and kanotix booting.

    You can dowload it here: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    It is excellent for programming.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: questions

    Quote Originally Posted by c_programmer
    3. is it good for programming
    Knoppix comes with a lot of installed programs that will take care of almost all your programming needs. Chances are unless you useing some very obsure language or library knoppix will have what you need.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    6
    which one do I download? (I am on the claforina mirror)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    6
    I downloaded knopix 3.3-2004-blablabla.iso, where di I put the file?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Burn the image to a cd. I first used Burn cdcc to burn my image (which is freeware)but you can get a better burner for iso's which you can get from here:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/deepburner.html

    You have to burn it as an image with software that allows you to choose iso image. Try that image burner and see if it works for you. Let me know. You cannot burn it as files like a regular cd because it will not work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by c_programmer
    I downloaded knopix 3.3-2004-blablabla.iso, where di I put the file?
    I didn't think they carried 3.3 anymore, typo?
    I would have chosen this one KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    6
    yes, type, I have 3.6. I am assuming that burning a cd image to a cd is different than sending to drive e:\ . what I really want to do is keep it on my hard drive, is there a way to do that?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by c_programmer
    yes, type, I have 3.6. I am assuming that burning a cd image to a cd is different than sending to drive e:\ .
    You have to burn it as an image, not a datacd http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm

    what I really want to do is keep it on my hard drive, is there a way to do that?
    Sure, click the Docs tab at the top of the page and have a look around at least at these:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PoorMansInstall
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    6
    I used nero to copy a cd image, it started to beet then game me an error and left me in the shell. it said something about not being able to find data image?

Similar Threads

  1. Some Questions
    By NitroSpazzz in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
  2. Questions?
    By kn2user in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
  3. Questions from the new guy
    By Liquidant in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:28 PM
  4. A few questions
    By jshah329 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 12:43 AM
  5. two questions
    By schunn99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 11:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



UniFi UCG Ultra Gateway Max picture

UniFi UCG Ultra Gateway Max

$200.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99