Hi,
Finally got this one licked!
My last resort was the update the system BIOS on the blade (which BTW I didn't think would make a difference but it needed to be done anyway so I had nothing to lose) and low and behold it worked!
It accessed the usb cdrom via /dev/hda1
My hardware platform is:
IBM BladeCenter (8766)
Initially the blades shipped with 1.04 of the BIOS and I updated this one to 1.06. It didn't work with 1.04 but did work with 1.06.
So if you haven't updated your BIOS yet, try that out!

Vintage Apple Computer "I AM AN APPLE PROGRAMMER" Pinback Button 2 1/8" 1980s
$29.99
Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E
$139.99
Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ
$179.99
RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*
$299.99
Vintage Qume QUMETRAK 142 5.25" 5 1/4" floppy drive - Untested
$55.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51 CD SEALED
$145.00
VINTAGE Silicon Graphics SGI IRIS Indigo R3000 CMNB003 New Battery No Hard Drive
$999.99
Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99
VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ
$160.00