Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Does the hdd install retain the hw autoconfig capability?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8

    Does the hdd install retain the hw autoconfig capability?

    Can someone tell me if a "real" hdd install of Knoppix (not the poor man install) keeps the hw autoconfig capability or it just transfers the detected configuration at the moment of installation?
    I am asking this because it would be very helpful to configure hard disks with server software and have them in stock whenever I sell an application. Then I just buy a new little server and install the preconfigured knoppix hard disk in it, just having to fine tune little things like the network cards, the video mode, etc.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    A Knoppix style install works just like the CD, so perhaps a Beginner style install would be more suitable, they both have hw-autodetection whereas a Debian style install doesn't.
    All here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    The beginner may not have it either. I have only ever installed beginner type. I changed monitors from an older Dell to a new ViewSonic. All I got was a blank screen. The monitor wouldn't sync. I booted from the CD and the ViewSonic worked fine (better than the Dell). I had to reinstall to the HD and then everything was fine. So, I think the H/W detect only occurs from a Knoppix install or the CD. Debian and beginner seem to be fixed on the H/W that existed at the time of install.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    I changed monitors from an older Dell to a new ViewSonic. All I got was a blank screen. The monitor wouldn't sync. I booted from the CD and the ViewSonic worked fine (better than the Dell). I had to reinstall to the HD and then everything was fine. .
    I realize it's a bit late but.......all you had to do was boot Knoppix and copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to your hdd installation. Well.....next time....

Similar Threads

  1. autoconfig not recognizing sound and videocard on hd install
    By loonix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 09:12 PM
  2. Autoconfig stopped working on HDD install.
    By rbivins in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
  3. knoppix-autoconfig
    By farawayuser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2003, 12:28 AM
  4. Req: /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig
    By Ragaprong in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 06:37 PM
  5. hardware autoconfig
    By droy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2003, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW picture

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW

$450.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99