Quote Originally Posted by syco
i did put a static ip in and it did not work. the router works with red hat and windows
Yea, I get that the router works with some systems, but until you know why it and Knoppix are failing that proves nothing. More importantly, since you can't seem to ping the router, why do you think it's a dhcp issue at all? If the network card can't talk to the router then it certainly isn't going to do a dhcp handshake. You say that you put in a static ip and 'it did not work'. But it's hardly clear what is not working. I'm guessing from what you said that netcardconfig did work (no errors when you did a manual configuration), but that you still couldn't ping the router. But that does seem strange. Alternately, it could be that the netcardconfig gave an error, in which case you might want to look at these two threads:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
and
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

Are there other computers on your network? Can you ping them from Knoppix? Can they ping the router? Can they ping the IP address you assign manually to Knoppix with netcardconfig?

You might want to use a product like ethereal to sniff the wire to see what is happening. As I said, this sounds very strange. As long as you get the NIC working, DHCP on any decent router should work just fine. I've had no DHCP problems with Knoppix since version 3.1 once I got rid of the Belkin.
[/i]