-
Samba Client - Does it "Auto Start"?
Aloha! Using Knoppix 3.6. I realize that you need the Samba client to run in order to access windows systems on a local network. Does this client start automatically with the CD? It would appear so, as I've been able to install a networked printer - one that is connected locally to one of the W2k systems.
However, when I run the script that is supposed to confirm whether samba is installed (can't remember it) nothing happens. I wonder if this checks whether the Server is installed and has nothing to do with the client?
Using a Linky router/switch w/ DHCP enabled. I figure the client MUST be installed/or enabled? upon booting as I'm able to connect to the W2K shares using "smb://machine name/share/" in Konquerer(sp?). It just prompts for the username and pw (it better!
) But it seems if we want to again connect to that same share we need to type that in again. Is there an easier way to connect? As a linux NEWBIE, I need to know if these windows partitions can be "mapped"? How does one go about mapping a windows drive/partition in Knoppix/Linux? For NTFS shares, we only need the read function and wouldn't write to it. Guess I'll learn that the proper term is MOUNT? Is this the same as "mapping a drive or folder"?
Last question, what is "Captive NTFS" and what does it do?
I'm only posting this after reading mounds of docs on Samba and networking w/ Linux, along with searching this forum and other forums.
Thank you very much for any help you can give, and Mahalo for such an incredible Forum!!!!
Similar Threads
-
By scruffyeagle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-23-2005, 05:27 AM
-
By kurtz25 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 05:32 AM
-
By Popovn in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 01:18 PM
-
By electronicjason in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-26-2003, 08:45 PM
-
By InstallScript in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99