Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help! Feel like an idiot...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6

    Help! Feel like an idiot...

    I installed Knoppix to the Hard Drive and made a boot floppy - but floppies being what they are died on me. I used Ghost to keep a back-up copy but without a boot floppy I could not get into the system. Tried using bootfrom and ended up only in a small shell. What is the exact language to use to boot from a 3.6 CD-ROM and also where is the exact location to make a boot floppy at in 3.6. I needed to run knoppix-installer several times before I found a spare floppy that was in good shape.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6
    found out the answer myself after pulling my hair out all day. Thought I would try a slackware boot cd and see if it would work - sure enough I got into the system. So I then tried the Knoppix CD using the same language and wonderful! In the system! Exact language:

    knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro

    Hope this helps someone else - GOODBYE floppies!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Well done, Bubba - I don't think an idiot would have figured this out on his own! Ideally you should boot this way from the original CD you used to install to HD. This will ensure you're booting with the same kernel version, and that the HD startup sequence will be able to load modules from the HD, which would not match another kernel as found on a later knoppix release.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    Glad you got this figured out. As a long-time Slacker I have used this trick for years. I posted it to this list quite a while ago, but it is no doubt buried somewhere in the bowels of this archive, never to be seen again. One point -- This only works with LILO, not with GRUB, which is one of the many reasons I prefer LILO. As more distributions start using GRUB (Why?? Kanotix, Mepis -- are you listening? Is it only for the prettier splash screens?) this trick becomes less and less useful.

    As baldyeti already said, it works best to use the CD you used for the HD install.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Sorry but I'd have to disagree with you, kansas. The very reasons most live CD's are switching to grub is because it is arguably more flexible than lilo/isolinux as a rescue CD boot manager. With grub, you can boot with the CD kernel and adjust its arguments similarly to what the OP discovered (use the "e" key).

    But you can also point it to your HD install, and then boot from your real kernel, even if the CD has another version. Of course you need to exit the grub menu and learn how to use its CLI to achieve this, but it can be real handy. Actually, you can do from the command line whatever you can from menu.lst - even booting other OS's... GRand Unified Boot loader indeed!

    The thing which worries me is live CDs moving away from floppy emulation, which causes CD's not to boot on some lsystems with a less capable BIOS.

Similar Threads

  1. I feel really smert... oh yes i do..
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 01:14 AM
  2. Either I'm a complete idiot, or something's not quite right.
    By avantegardegeek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:35 AM
  3. a few newbie idiot questions
    By shaneblyth in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
  4. Idiot Install
    By JetCowBoB in forum Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-06-2003, 12:11 AM
  5. please explain in detail for idiot (me) how to pptp vpn
    By kamikaze_fish in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00