Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help wanted for booting Knoppix 3.4 on Sony VAIO FX101

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Help wanted for booting Knoppix 3.4 on Sony VAIO FX101

    Hi,
    I know this must sound daft, but I'm just not able to get the knoppix 3.4 live CD booting on a Sony VAIO FX101. It's supported by debian and I've tried the following boot options in just about every combination:
    dma, noacpi, apm=off, no-hlt

    I've also tried 'failsafe' and that doesn't help either.
    The boot sequence gets as far as saying:
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    And then seems to lock up (nothing I've done has changed this).

    I know that the VAIOs have funny VGA mode support (I've had to use vga=834 to get linux on my FX805 working okay) but I don't know what mode to use for the FX101 (1024x768) and I don't think it should stop it booting (it only affected X stuff).

    Does Knoppix try to use the framebuffer for booting (as this might be an issue if it can't be found) ?

    If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hi there. No solution for you ... Just to say that I have the same problem with Knoppix 3.4. I even tried 3.6. Doesn't work. The last version of Knoppix that works with my Sony Vaio FX101 laptop is 3.3.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    Update: I managed to launch knoppix 3.6 on my sony vaio fx101 laptop. How? By using the following boot options: apm=off acpi=off. (i think i've used knoppix26 not knoppix, i'm not sure ... and I don't have time to check now)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    i use vga=791 and
    acpi=off noacpi on a knoppix3.3 I guess and sony fx 601

Similar Threads

  1. Sony Vaio and Knoppix, Pls Help!
    By bengaskell in forum Laptops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 12:58 AM
  2. Sony Vaio PCG-R505EL
    By Stllgrowin in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:20 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 03:34 AM
  4. No sound in KDE with Sony Vaio PCG-818
    By knytphal in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM
  5. Knoppix on Sony Vaio
    By bigrobot in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM 260-Pin CL22 CT16G4SFS832A.C8FB picture

Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM 260-Pin CL22 CT16G4SFS832A.C8FB

$124.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black picture

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black

$429.94



Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4 ram 2x8 16gb picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4 ram 2x8 16gb

$65.00



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00