Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: It's time for Windows XP to die...

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    It's time for Windows XP to die...

    ...well die on my hda anyway. I need help in doing it. I have two hd installations, hda is xp and hdb is knoppix. I want to run another linux ditrobution on hda but I also know that my mbr is there as well. I do not know how to reformat hda and retain this mbr so I can dual boot my hdb with my new hda linux distro. what would be the easiest or safest way to do this

    thanx

    helios

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    You haven't told us which boot loader you are using (lilo/grub/NT), so it's hard to be specific. Just install to hda, but don' let your other distro install its BL to mbr, choose root (/dev/hdaN) instead. Later you'll need to add your new install to your hdb knoppix (via lilo.conf or menu.lst).

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    it won't matter, You can install the new os and when it loads you can choose to load its boot loader. Grub is great and is standard with the likes of SuSE. When you install the new os simply choose to load its boot loader in the MBR. When the boot loader installs it will detect other the os and place a boot option for that partition. You can get help in the forums should you encounter any problems. I have 5 distributions of linux installed on my machine. The last one I installed was SuSE 9.1 all the other boot loaders are installed on the partition instead of the mbr and so I use the SuSE installed grub to load the other distros.

  4. #4
    As long as you install a modern (recent) linux and don't mess with hdb you should be fine. A multi-harddrive dual-boot is the easiest and most forgiving way to dual boot. The new linux should work fine.

    P.S. if it's one of those non-gui install types like Gentoo you might have problems.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thank you for the help

    I am either gonna put the newest kanotix I have (BH09) or Xandros on there to test drive it. I am a bit clueless about mbr except when I screw it up and cant get back into my windows partition I do an fdisk mbr and I can reboot into windows. With windows being buried at sea today I did have concerns about how to get this done. If I run into problems, I will let you know.

    thankx

    helios

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    at a sticking point here...

    I booted to BH9 and did kanotix-installer, got to the partition part, converted my fat 32 partitioin to ext3 and now I am a bit stuck. I have two other partitions, one at 0.03 mb and one at 4.something mb. I realize one is my mbr and one the larger is the swap file, but once I converted the fat partition to ext3, the other two went from "free" to hidden. what do I do from here?

    thanx

    helios

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    The MBR is _not_ a partition, just the very first 512-byte block of your HD. I think cfdisk is the clearest partitioning tool to use. Delete all existing partitions from your hda, then create a swap, a root, a home. Mark them with the correct type. I dunno about the kanotix installer, but it should then run mkfs/mswap according to the way you've marked your new disk slices, and proceed from there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    If I didn't oversee something here, you may use the same swap-partition for multiple linuxes - no need to create an extra one on hda.

Similar Threads

  1. first time
    By edallica in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 04:22 AM
  2. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  3. TIME OF THE YEAR!
    By Ritchie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 02:35 PM
  4. First time using Knoppix ...
    By Nightshade7676 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 11:37 PM
  5. TV time !
    By mihai in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Lot Of 50 8GB DDR4 2400T 2666V 3200AA RAM SODIMM Laptop Memory TESTED*READ* picture

Lot Of 50 8GB DDR4 2400T 2666V 3200AA RAM SODIMM Laptop Memory TESTED*READ*

$1599.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot of  50 16GB DDR4 Mixed  Server Memory Module - ** Please Read** picture

Lot of 50 16GB DDR4 Mixed Server Memory Module - ** Please Read**

$3795.95



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95



32GB Kit 4X 8GB DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 Memory Ram picture

32GB Kit 4X 8GB DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 Memory Ram

$44.99