Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Konqeror and SMB

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Konqeror and SMB

    I'm having dificulty as of the 03/23/2003 release with using the smb prefix in konqeror. I can mount network shares fine using the comand line, so samba apears to be working. But I can no longer browse or connect to shares using Konqeror. I recieve an error to the effect of : Error loading kio_smb.
    I could and still can browse if I use the 03/21/2003 release. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Konqeror and SMB

    Since Knoppix touches the "unstable" parts of the Debian archives, something probably broke.

    My advice is to keep at least 1 old .iso rev around for just these types of contingencies. Then you download the latest rev when it comes out, and see if the problem was fixed.

    Alternatively, install to HD - and use apt-get update, apt-get upgrade to get the latest stuff without having to wait.

    Knoppix is an interesting mix, BTW. I have to use ' apt-get install gaim/unstable ' for IM to work, and ' apt-get install ntop/stable ' for network monitoring to work. (shrug) Knoppix is still the coolest thing I've ever seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Simmons
    I'm having dificulty as of the 03/23/2003 release with using the smb prefix in konqeror. I can mount network shares fine using the comand line, so samba apears to be working. But I can no longer browse or connect to shares using Konqeror. I recieve an error to the effect of : Error loading kio_smb.
    I could and still can browse if I use the 03/21/2003 release. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2

    Re: Konqeror and SMB

    I have the same problem (the same error) with 04/18/2003 release
    and can't find answer yet.

  4. #4

    Re: Konqeror and SMB

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Simmons
    I'm having dificulty as of the 03/23/2003 release with using the smb prefix in konqeror. I can mount network shares fine using the comand line, so samba apears to be working. But I can no longer browse or connect to shares using Konqeror. I recieve an error to the effect of : Error loading kio_smb.
    I could and still can browse if I use the 03/21/2003 release. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
    Same error here too. I found a workaround though.

    At a root shell prompt, mount the remote Windows share (or samba share) using mount -t smbfs -0 {relevant samba mount options here)}//server/share /mnt/{mount point here... I use test}.

    Now use Konqueror and browse to /mnt/mountpoint. You should be able to interact with the system as normal... and the bonus is that you can write (if the gid and uid was set to knoppix and the share was mounted read and write) to the system as well (overcoming Konqueror's smb plugin inability to write to samba shares).

    Try it...

    It works.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2
    It is not very convenient to mount share each time. Especially if your network more than 200 computers and you want simply to browse contents of the share. Prefix smb: is better and it is a pity that it does not work.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40
    If you want to mount multiple shares easily goto LinNeighborhood then click on "Options | Browse Entire Network" select "Browse as User" and input your credentials; click OK. Once this is done you may have to rescan the network but once you do all of the computer's network shares are visible. Then you can right click a share and mount it and, provided you have configured the "Run File Manager after Mounting" option in "Prefs | Post Mount", even open Konquerer right from there. At the very leat you have easily mounted a share.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99