-
Konqeror and SMB
I'm having dificulty as of the 03/23/2003 release with using the smb prefix in konqeror. I can mount network shares fine using the comand line, so samba apears to be working. But I can no longer browse or connect to shares using Konqeror. I recieve an error to the effect of : Error loading kio_smb.
I could and still can browse if I use the 03/21/2003 release. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Konqeror and SMB
Since Knoppix touches the "unstable" parts of the Debian archives, something probably broke. 
My advice is to keep at least 1 old .iso rev around for just these types of contingencies. Then you download the latest rev when it comes out, and see if the problem was fixed.
Alternatively, install to HD - and use apt-get update, apt-get upgrade to get the latest stuff without having to wait.
Knoppix is an interesting mix, BTW. I have to use ' apt-get install gaim/unstable ' for IM to work, and ' apt-get install ntop/stable ' for network monitoring to work. (shrug) Knoppix is still the coolest thing I've ever seen. 

Originally Posted by
Gene Simmons
I'm having dificulty as of the 03/23/2003 release with using the smb prefix in konqeror. I can mount network shares fine using the comand line, so samba apears to be working. But I can no longer browse or connect to shares using Konqeror. I recieve an error to the effect of : Error loading kio_smb.
I could and still can browse if I use the 03/21/2003 release. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
-
Re: Konqeror and SMB
I have the same problem (the same error) with 04/18/2003 release
and can't find answer yet.
-
Re: Konqeror and SMB

Originally Posted by
Gene Simmons
I'm having dificulty as of the 03/23/2003 release with using the smb prefix in konqeror. I can mount network shares fine using the comand line, so samba apears to be working. But I can no longer browse or connect to shares using Konqeror. I recieve an error to the effect of : Error loading kio_smb.
I could and still can browse if I use the 03/21/2003 release. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
Same error here too. I found a workaround though.
At a root shell prompt, mount the remote Windows share (or samba share) using mount -t smbfs -0 {relevant samba mount options here)}//server/share /mnt/{mount point here... I use test}.
Now use Konqueror and browse to /mnt/mountpoint. You should be able to interact with the system as normal... and the bonus is that you can write (if the gid and uid was set to knoppix and the share was mounted read and write) to the system as well (overcoming Konqueror's smb plugin inability to write to samba shares).
Try it...
It works.
-
It is not very convenient to mount share each time. Especially if your network more than 200 computers and you want simply to browse contents of the share. Prefix smb: is better and it is a pity that it does not work.
-
If you want to mount multiple shares easily goto LinNeighborhood then click on "Options | Browse Entire Network" select "Browse as User" and input your credentials; click OK. Once this is done you may have to rescan the network but once you do all of the computer's network shares are visible. Then you can right click a share and mount it and, provided you have configured the "Run File Manager after Mounting" option in "Prefs | Post Mount", even open Konquerer right from there. At the very leat you have easily mounted a share.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Micron 32GB (16GB x 2) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz ECC RDIMM Memory (sku 0054)
$199.00

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99

4x 8GB Samsung DDR4 2133MHz PC4-2133P 1Rx4 ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB
$120.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

128GB 4x32GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory by NEMIX RAM
$850.00

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory
$2150.00

64MB (2 x 32MB) 72 Pin EDO Memory SIMM 5V Non Parity 60ns
$19.44

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17
$3.35

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US
$3.95