Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Custom kernel does not boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16

    Custom kernel does not boot

    I installed Knoppix on my hdd. I chose reiserfs. I need to recompile kernel in order to make it work with ALi 15x3 chipset and USB 2.0. After compilation and installation of the kernel it cannot boot because it cannot use reiserfs root partition. Is there any way to make properly working initrd on Knoppix?

    Here is my kerenel compilation procedure:

    1. su root
    2. apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.20
    3. cd /usr/src
    4. tar --bzip2 -xvf kernel-source-2.4.20.tar.bz2
    5. ln -s kernel-source-2.4.20 linux
    6. patch -p0 < patches/alim15x3.patch
    7. cd linux
    8. patch -p1 < ../patches/usb-ehci-2.4.20-pre11.patch
    9. make xconfig
    10. make-kpkg clean
    11. make-kpkg --append_to_version -crusoe --initrd --revision=01 \
    kernel_image modules_image
    12. cd ..
    13. dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb
    14. Adding new kernel entry to lilo.conf
    15. lilo
    16 Rebooting...

    What's wrong with this procedure. I am not able to make proper initrd even when I use mkinitrd command. When I was trying to compile kernel and install it I got warings about initrd. Does it mean that this feature does not work on Debian/Knoppix? I notice knx-hdinstall does not use cramsfs. Are there any ways to customize mkinitrd.conf to use ext2???

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14
    Ok um as far as I know initrd is a ram disk that is started by init (I could be wrong) so first you will need a working init. Knoppix uses (from what I can gather, although it may not be used in a hdd install) a modified, staticly linked version of ash(called ash-knoppix) that also serves as init and modutils and maybe some other stuff. If your kernel has been changed enough (make sure you start with the .config file used in the stock kernel) then you may need to recompile ash-knoppix so that it will work with your new kernel (according to the custom kernel faq, although I cant find any documentation on how to do this exactly).

    Oh, personally I've never had much luck with ALI chipsets and would trade one that I have for an intel or via chipset if I had the chance.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16
    I had more luck without initrd and with reiserfs builtin.

Similar Threads

  1. Custom Kernel - Problem on Boot
    By fabioxa in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
  2. BOOT NEW CUSTOM KERNEL
    By fabioxa in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 06:21 AM
  3. Custom kernel ?
    By nizedude in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 08:49 PM
  4. boot from floppy failed with Custom Kernel
    By hugo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
  5. kernel panic with custom kernel
    By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67



Trucozie Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Self-Standing Lightweight Stick Vacuum New Ope picture

Trucozie Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Self-Standing Lightweight Stick Vacuum New Ope

$89.00