Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    6

    Boot

    Hey, there wasn't a Windows section, so I didn't know where to put this. I am currently on Windows XP Home Edition. I burned a Knoppix CD so that I can boot up from the CD and use it without my family getting pissed at me for installing Linux. When I switched it in the BIOS so that CD-rom is loaded first, this is what happened.

    Here is exactly what it said:

    We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
    If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectantly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
    If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

    Start Windows Normally

    Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.


    Can anyone help me with this? After I switched the BIOS so that the CD-Rom went first, this is what it looked like ...

    Boot Mode
    1.) CD-Rom
    2.) +Hardware
    3.) +Something I don't know
    4.) Networking something or another

    I think there is supposed to be a prompt on the screen for me to press any key to continue, that sort of thing, but it just goest straight to the screen I typed out for you up above. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydo
    Hey, there wasn't a Windows section, so I didn't know where to put this. I am currently on Windows XP Home Edition. I burned a Knoppix CD so that I can boot up from the CD and use it without my family getting pissed at me for installing Linux. When I switched it in the BIOS so that CD-rom is loaded first, this is what happened.

    Here is exactly what it said:

    We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
    If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectantly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
    If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

    Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

    Start Windows Normally

    Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.


    Can anyone help me with this? After I switched the BIOS so that the CD-Rom went first, this is what it looked like ...

    Boot Mode
    1.) CD-Rom
    2.) +Hardware
    3.) +Something I don't know
    4.) Networking something or another

    I think there is supposed to be a prompt on the screen for me to press any key to continue, that sort of thing, but it just goest straight to the screen I typed out for you up above. Thanks
    I assume you let Windows start normally, did it start OK?
    Usually when Windows gets upset by a change such as this it does this 'start in safe mode' thing for the next startup then adjusts itself & subsequent boots are OK. Same thing happens if it shuts down without exiting properly for example from a power failure....that is if you're lucky...if you're not, it shuts down so messed up it won't restart & it's help recover my files time.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    6
    What? So how do I get Knoppix to load up?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    135
    With my MB (Asus nForce 1) I didn't change my BIOS settings - I press <escape> during power up - this brings up a choice of HDs or CD or DVD to boot off - cursor to CD drive and the liveCd will boot rather than Windows.

    drb

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i can do the same using F8 or del om my computers (del on the laptop)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    6
    Yeah, at first I also didn't switch the order in the BIOS, but it would still only load Windows. Can't figure this out!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM DDR4 Server Memory RAM picture

SK Hynix 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM DDR4 Server Memory RAM

$355.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



Samsung 32GB (1x32GB) PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133) LRDIMM Memory (M386A4G40DM0-CPB0Q) picture

Samsung 32GB (1x32GB) PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133) LRDIMM Memory (M386A4G40DM0-CPB0Q)

$120.00



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SAMSUNG 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P M393A2G40DB0-CPB3Q DDR4 Memory RAM *HP 752369-081 picture

SAMSUNG 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P M393A2G40DB0-CPB3Q DDR4 Memory RAM *HP 752369-081

$75.00



Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4

$1299.00



Lot of 8 Samsung 16GB RDIMMs (8x16GB) 128GB DDR4-2400 ECC Server RAM 2Rx8 Tested picture

Lot of 8 Samsung 16GB RDIMMs (8x16GB) 128GB DDR4-2400 ECC Server RAM 2Rx8 Tested

$696.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95